dbjpb

Wind

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

23 mins ago, gellfex said:

For clarity you guys should refer to the AI without all the amas and sailing gear as the "Revo 16" like Hobie now does.  I'm curious as to how it's performance in heavy current is any different than any other boat? It's always like trying to go up the down escalator!

IMO: I have a AI and Revo 13, Back in CA. I always felt the revolution to be a more stable boat . without the amas on the AI of course. 

Edited by kenjan

33 mins ago, gellfex said:

I know you do Rob, but I've seen confusion in other threads. Plus, there's no point in discussing a sailboat in a wind complaint thread! Like complaining about rain to a frog.

LOl thats why I put a smiley face...and on a serious note that is why I bought the AI in the first place. I got tired of being blwon out every dang time I wanted to go fishing. I enjoy being on the water as much as I enjoy fishing so mine as well make it a win win. 

Joe, check out the difference between the seat height on the C14 in the top 2 pics and a newly posted pic of the Swell Scupper 14. Pretty dramatic.  The guy in the Scupper clearly has his butt below waterline, maybe 6" lower than the C14.  I also notice their version has a lower profile bow than the OnWater version. Niemier commented that redesign was one of the reason he split. I wonder what he sees in the feature, less perling on a surf?

Caribbean-14-Angler-no-3.jpg

Image result for caribbean 14 kayak eddyline

30742040_1849962271968416_86377255950457

I mostly fish a Revolution 16 because I fish so much in wind and current.  It is a fun boat and works well for me in less than perfect conditions.  Pedal power is king when the wind/current is strong, casting and pedaling keep me on the fish.

Once you start pedaling, you realize how much wind resistance paddles create.  If you're padding on windy days, technique makes all the difference, most of us aren't skilled enough paddlers to adjust though.

54 mins ago, Slappy said:

Once you start pedaling, you realize how much wind resistance paddles create.  If you're padding on windy days, technique makes all the difference, most of us aren't skilled enough paddlers to adjust though.

Keep in mind, paddles are only wind-resistant in a headwind. With a tailwind, they actually help you. And in a crosswind, they make no difference at all. 

Edited by kross57

59 mins ago, Slappy said:

If you're padding on windy days, technique makes all the difference, most of us aren't skilled enough paddlers to adjust though.

My 1st paddle had a 90 deg offset! The idea being that the "up" blade is inline with a headwind. But that has gone out of fashion to where some people like a zero offset, and 30 deg is common. It's easier on the wrists but harder on paddling. My paddle is universally adjustable, and I sometimes mess around.

9 hours ago, dbjpb said:

Like glass this am .

46D3BC48-0D19-4E1F-9F77-0CE72144E3DA.jpeg

Was that RB? If so, that didn't last very long. Strong east wind picked up by 10 with lots of 3 foot swells. I called it quits after an hour.