Wind

Joe, I don't think you'll find new answers from the last time you asked this! I too sit looking at the weather forecasts all season dreading going out in over 10 mph. The answer is still a narrow fast hull and a low seat for a smaller wind profile. In my book, assuming a SIK is not an option you'll consider, that's either a SA boat like a Kashkazi or see if Niemers ScupperPro is real or vaporware. Both types will put your ass below the waterline.   Perhaps you can persuade one of the Kashkazi or Stealth owners on the board to let you demo their boat.  I know you're not afraid to spend bucks on boats, maybe a 35# $2500 composite Scupper is your dream machine! It is mine, but I'm not as unhappy as you with the C14.

No magic bullet here. Probably easiest, avoid high wind and go tomorrow, easy when your retired lol. Do weather research, plan and pick, but sometimes Mother nature will win anyway. On the Hudson river Sat. morning it was supposed to be a big SW, it was an easy NW, go figure? Launch at daybreak if the wind is to build throughout the day. One can hit the gym to keep the arms and legs ready for the extra work. It may help to lose the crate, above deck carts, etc. and keep your deck clear. Fish in a lee! If its blowing Sw, fish a NE shoreline. I fish sheltered marinas and back bays if its blowing. Get a rudder, or get dropped off miles upwind and fish and freeride back to your launch. Of course there are motors, but that is boating not kayaking.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

• dbjpb locked this topic
  • TimS unlocked this topic
1 hour ago, dbjpb said:

Thanks for all the replies. 

Great ideas.

I will close the thread since it was duplicated a few months ago.

Please don’t lock your threads - the tool is intended only for use in the BST forums. Threads outside of buying and selling should never be locked - thanks :)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Please don’t lock your threads - the tool is intended only for use in the BST forums. Threads outside of buying and selling should never be locked - thanks :)

TimS

good to know. Thanks. 

If a man has no plan for the future, any road will take him there. 

1 hour ago, Local24 SSP said:

+1 

Waves, wind or long distance I think the AI is best suited for the challenge. Not a fan of it in heavy current, but that seems to be its only weak point. 

The only negative to me is the turning radius...well and the weight but I have a nice little system of getting it in and out of the water with the hobie beach dolly now

For clarity you guys should refer to the AI without all the amas and sailing gear as the "Revo 16" like Hobie now does.  I'm curious as to how it's performance in heavy current is any different than any other boat? It's always like trying to go up the down escalator!

7 mins ago, gellfex said:

For clarity you guys should refer to the AI without all the amas and sailing gear as the "Revo 16" like Hobie now does.  I'm curious as to how it's performance in heavy current is any different than any other boat? It's always like trying to go up the down escalator!

I only use mine with the amas and sailing gear. 

4 mins ago, robmedina said:

I only use mine with the amas and sailing gear. 

I know you do Rob, but I've seen confusion in other threads. Plus, there's no point in discussing a sailboat in a wind complaint thread! Like complaining about rain to a frog.

Edited by gellfex