mikefrombeverly

Mojo surf guide and bg 6500 question

6 posts in this topic

I recently ordered a mojo surf rod online and when I received it the tip guide was  slightly off center to the left and the fourth from the top was bent. I drove two hours to return it and got the last one the store had in stock. I took a look before I left and the guides seemed fine. After taking a closer look, the top guide is a little off center to the left. I don’t think this normal but Is it something I can live with? I’d rather not ship it back or drive all the way back to the store again. 

I’ve searched the forums, but any advice on what line to use for the bg 6500 I’m pairing this with? Thanks in advance. 

You can heat the tip ( bic lighter)and spin it to we're you like,  or better yet your local tackle shop can fix it for ya, unless it's really hard left it's not a big deal. Line for the reel, 20-30 # braid for sandy beach, if it's rocky, or muscle beds etc. I would use 30-50# braid.. what brand braid ? There's so many, I use Fireline, power pro, samurai and j- braid all good. But there's lots more.

Thanks. I think I’ll go ahead and take the tags off of it and see how it goes. It’s not that far off so I hope it’ll be fine. I fish rocky shore lines mostly and I really liked power pro ss so I’ll prolly go with that in a higher test

Don't tell me St Croix caught Penn's QC disease, I've had two issues with Mexican St Croix guides was hoping it was just a one or two off.

If it’s really off you could always call St. Croix for advice. They might work with you on a replacement. 

For the line it depends on which version of the Mojo you bought and where you plan to fish it. The BG6500 is a big reel and holds a lot of line. On my canal jigging rod I use a BG5000 on an 11’ surf rod rated 3 - 8 oz. and it’s spooled with 40 lb. PowerPro. 

If your Mojo is 10’ or 10’6” rated to 4 oz. I’d go with 30lb. braid for plugging and general surf use. I’d also opt for a BG4500 or 5000 if you need the line capacity. IMHO the 6500 is too big for anything under 11’ or for general surf use. 

Sucks that you've had the same problem twice. Never had an issue with any of my st Croix rods. Their customer service is on point so I would contact them and they will make it right.