The Riddler

Does this mean you’re kayak fishing?

178 posts in this topic

Everywhere you look this Spring its another picture or magazine article on standing and fishing in a kayak. The latest?  Stand up Kayaks “Catch On”. 

What is a stand up kayak?  Years ago we could stand up on The Tarpon 140 and Malibu eXTreme both 28”- 31.5” beam.  These platforms were low to the water and easy to stand up on and you didnt need a tug boat to stand up. 

Last year there was a fellow kayak fishing in front of Newport in his Pro Angler fishing for late season Albies and Bonito. He had to stand up in front of all the boats and kayaks like it was needed to land Albies. To top it off he fell. 

Some folks will tell us its needed to fish a certain technique like flipping and pitching..that can be debated. I will say on the flats for certain species it was helpful but once I saw A Redfish Tail go up or trucking watera across a flat,  I could get a bead on the movement. 

In the early 2000’s many of us on the kayak fishing stuff forums were standing up for the goof while Striped Bass fishIng.

Having a salesman sell you on a bill of goods to buy a kayak tug boat because standing is needed in kayak fishing is absolutely full of poo poo. 

EC68271B-E414-4D35-A1B8-ED9498948ECF.jpeg

2003 During the Peanut Bunker years fall.  Malibu eXtreme , no outriggers, real kayak seat, stand up and fish to show off like its macho.  :laugh:

2A5E2110-0F37-464E-A527-84D0F93BDB6C.jpeg

Just now, robmedina said:

I stand up to piss off my yak :)

Now there is something useful! Most of us are too lazy. 

45 mins ago, robmedina said:

I stand up to piss off my yak :)

I thought that's what the scuppers are for? 

I just step out of it to stand. 

The whole standing up in a kayak to me is a justification of the width plus weight issue of kayaks. The heavier equals it will equalize your balancing while standing up. Companies have to have a different selling point, can’t say this thing weights a crap load, your back will bother you so get used to it. You will struggle to control and handle it while loading or unloading from your vehicle. Watch those mirrors you might smack off. Those don’t sell kayaks. Hay look, you can stand up. You can’t paddle it for anything, but you can stand up. That’s the giving up to gain something most wont do. 

I stand up to stretch the legs and drain the vein when needed. Even when no one is around to see

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Now there is something useful! Most of us are too lazy. 

LOL, with my outback I would just go in the mirage drive hole. Now I can stand and hold onto the sail mast...

My guess to why companies advertise standing in a kayak is to show off the stability of it. To why guys actually try to stand up is beyond me, I enjoy staying dry and not flipping my kayak.

I occasionally stand in my feild & stream eagle talon it’s 12’ by 30” I only really stand to stretch now and again more than fishing standing. 

I would like to upgrade to a longer more narrow sot like a prowler or trident so I can cover more distance. I rather have a more speedy kayak than stability next time 

For a majority of saltwater fishing, standing is not needed or even a good idea.  I can see some back bay uses, flycasting in the sedges for example.

But for ALOT of freshwater fishing standing is pretty important.  The kayak fishing industry is focusing on LMB right now.  Its where the dollars are and they will eventually way outpace SW kayak fishing.

I cant wait to stand in mine and flip jigs into heavy cover and sight cast around docks etc.

1 hour ago, Shipwreck said:

For a majority of saltwater fishing, standing is not needed or even a good idea.  I can see some back bay uses, flycasting in the sedges for example.

But for ALOT of freshwater fishing standing is pretty important.  The kayak fishing industry is focusing on LMB right now.  Its where the dollars are and they will eventually way outpace SW kayak fishing.

I cant wait to stand in mine and flip jigs into heavy cover and sight cast around docks etc.

I agree that FW will outpace SW fishing on yaks market wise. There are more streams, rivers, ponds and lakes here than there is bay and ocean coastline. To me kayak fishing is a class of its own- no better or worse than any other, just different. What the LMB industry is creating is the want for a kayak to be a bass boat. With that we will see the design differences for FW move into something else where I see SW kayaks staying close to what kayaks are now. 

As far as the stand-up fishing goes I have adjusted to casting around dock pilings and grassbeds seated. There are some creeks I take to get to open water and I like to fish my way out and back when I can get the tide timing to work with my schedule. It takes a little bit to get the feel and timing for what your lure is doing when you can’t see it, but knowing what’s there is important in doing so. If it’s unfamiliar terrain then I can see standing to get your distance, depth and obstacles figured out, but it becomes second nature after a while. For those that want to see if something is chasing the lure then I get wanting to see everything with casting and retrieving. I just always assume something is chasing and jig and adjust accordingly if the line doesn’t tighten. I only stand if I have to for comfort reasons, but sit back down to fish. I don’t have a lawn chair yak, and have nothing against them, but if I did have one I’d probably find myself staying seated for longer durations than I do now. People can say what they want about them, but they are more comfortable to sit in/on, just my opinion. 

FW has and always will outpace saltwater by a long shot. The middle of the country is massive and landlocked people hunt and fish more % wise than those in high population areas. In addition to this early sit on top kayaks were designed for the salt and only in the last few years has the market filled in to sell sit ons to the freshwater crowd. We just live near the ocean so we have a tendency to not think about it. Personally, I like the ability to stand up because I can drift and stalk a flat, but a lot of people don't sight fish with a fly rod like I do.

I can't blame current boat design on the LMB guys, if there were really a market for a SA style or Scupper style boat here someone would be killing it making them. There simply isn't. Newbys buy the idea of  getting the most stable barge they can find since they don't understand kayaks, and they never seem to move on from that since everyone they know has the same boats. Same in the pedals, why does anyone buy a PA when they can have a Revo?