meant4u

Canal rods and reels that hold up to the test.

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey guys. I'm having to start all over with building my Arsenal for the canal. I usually have only used higher-end Shimano reels and century rods. Never had a problem with anything that was not user error. Going through a pretty bad divorce ex wife is keeping all of my fishing equipment not allowing me to have access to it. Looking for some suggestions on both plugging and jigging rods and reels that won't break the bank yet will hold up fairly well if taken care of. Let's open the discussion and hopefully point me in the right direction on what is worked for you.

Edited by meant4u
Misspell

Posted (edited)

Hey man, sorry to hear about your current struggle.

The search bar is going to be your best friend on here, there's already a ton of recent post from the last year or so regarding canal rod and reels. Search the mass and main forums.

My personal input would be to check out the TFO and MOJO series of rods. If I could only have one it would either be the 10'6" 2-6 oz MOJO or the 10'6" 2-6 TFO. Both will handle most plugging and jigging applications for the canal. The TFO is a much faster action rod. 

One nice thing with the 10'6" Mojo is that it has two tops a 3/4 -4 oz  and a 2-6 oz. You can switch the tips between the rod butt. If you buy the 2-6 in store you can order the 3/4-4 replacement tip on the St Croix site and basically have two rods for the price of one + $35 for the replacement tip.

I'd pair either rod with a 8k Saragosa or a Diawa BG depending on my budget.

Good luck

Edited by Sandbar1

For a jigging rod had CMS build a rod using a Rainshadow SU1208 blank that has worked very well for me, now on 5th year. Paired it with a Diawa Saltist 5000H that has held up to 5 seasons of jigging.

For a plugging rod using a 11' Century Kevlar Northeaster blank that had made up last year. This is paired with a Shimano Ultegra C14+ 5500. While the rod has helped with distance there are times wish I had stayed with a 10' rod due to fear of snagging something behind me when casting. While I'm very happy with this rod there are many less expensive rods that work just about as well in my opinion. When you hold the Ultegra it just doesn't feel like a strong reel but it has worked very well on bass to mid 30s and a bunch of blues.   

My favorite rod off the shelf has to be a 2 pc 11 ft Spinfisher rod circa 98? Bought from Bobby at Red Top.

could fish her anywhere 

IMO a Saragosa or Slammer 3 will both be great reals for the money and should hold up. You can also look at Daiwa Saltist, Cabo and Daiwa BG. Some guys even use the spheros. I like the gosa best but I have seen slammers under 180. 

For rods you can spend a little or a lot. I have used prevails, tica and mojo. Most days it doesn't make a difference.

good luck and sorry about the divorce. Great summer of fishing ahead of you!

I'm looking at the 11 foot Penn prevail matched with a spinfisher 6500. Also a 10-foot that's a little beefier for jigging and a Penn Battle 2 6000.

18 mins ago, meant4u said:

I'm looking at the 11 foot Penn prevail matched with a spinfisher 6500. Also a 10-foot that's a little beefier for jigging and a Penn Battle 2 6000.

11ft prevail is what I started with. Solid rod for the money.

Can you make the Ditch Trolls casting event next weekend? I could bring my prevail.

hi Kevin,sorry to hear the bad news, a reel i used for back-up at the canal, for heavy jigging, is the Daiwa BG 6500, i was and am pleasantly surprised how well this reel held up to heavy jigging,  almost 49 in. retrieve, and 33 lb. drag, and  the price retail $130, !!...-Butch N.

I bought a 'Gosa 8000 last year to use as a canal jigging reel. I love it. Great drag. Holds plenty of 40lb test braid. It's fast enough to get your lures in quickly at the end of your drift. I think it's going for $289.

On 4/24/2018 at 9:10 AM, Canal Critter said:

Why does the wife get to keep your fishing gear? That's insane! 

She's holding it for the equity until settlement

On 4/23/2018 at 9:25 AM, lureman said:

hi Kevin,sorry to hear the bad news, a reel i used for back-up at the canal, for heavy jigging, is the Daiwa BG 6500, i was and am pleasantly surprised how well this reel held up to heavy jigging,  almost 49 in. retrieve, and 33 lb. drag, and  the price retail $130, !!...-Butch N.

Thanx bud! Picked one up today