Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnP

Weight Watchers

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

PS

We can’t expect a marketing person to know what swing weight is. It’s factual for a start and that would not resonate with these guys.

How would they handle it.

oly

Edited by Mike Oliver

Hi Mike, I don't pay much attention to the marketing hype (other than some of it is F'ing hilarious !) :) but it seems like they like to stress how they shaved xx/tenths of an oz of a rod weight , I guess my question is does anybody really pay much attention to that ? I understand swing weight , can't say I would take the time to calculate it out even if I know how but with new rods I can't imagine it is that notable or is it and is it enough to really matter ?

PS

I am with you. These guys are always good for a laugh.

I don’t think most guys pay that much attention to rod weight when they pick one up in a shop let alone swing weight. Many I bet have decided what they are going to buy before hand.

Most rods feel light today. It’s only when you have two side by side that you realise some are a bit lighter . The Orvis original Helios is just feather weight.

So many good rods. The knack is finding the  good ones for the least money.

Wish I had the time to,do that.

Cheers

Mike

15 hours ago, JohnP said:

Yeah something like that.

Picture this conversation somewhere in a Montauk parking lot, after a long night of fishing

Them: “so , let’s say I’d like to try fly fishing. Well now I’m not saying I would actually want to, but let’s make believe just for kicks I had $2,000 that I had absolutely no use for. What would I buy?” 

Me: “well you don’t even need that much money. Stuff is a lot cheaper than you think.’

Them: ‘well then ok, let’s say I want the best. What am I looking for?’

Me: ‘Well that depends. What kind of fish would you be targeting?”

Them: ‘BIG fish John. We’ve been fishing together for over 20 years, and you don’t know that? BIG fish.”

Me: “yeah yeah, big fish. Well if you want BIG fish throw rigged eels or if that’s too complicated throw out a cut up bunker and let it sit on the bottom.”

I've got all kinds of gear accumulated over decades. All of it is functional; most of it I'd call nice, or at least decent (IMO, some would definitely differ). The only gear I have that'd make somebody say whoa, nice looking stuff (conventional, spin, and fly), is for tuna, where ya really can't mess around with gear. In the NE US, yeah, ya want a good reel for albies. Would it really be a disadvantage for me to use a Pflueger Medalist for bass and blues like I started with? Nope, not for me anyway. Rods are a different question.

44 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

John

Thats really funny. 

mike

Odds are you know these guys. 

3 hours ago, iamnobody said:

@PS

Weight and swing weight is easy to compare when buying a rod. Just hold a few in your hands and compare. 

iamnobody, agreed.

PS, just keep in mind that you can't accurately quantify what the actual swing weight is without masses and measurements. All you can say is how one rod feels relative to another. Which is often good enough for us. If you're intimate with how one rod feels, then it's easy to bring it along and compare it to another and get some sort of idea how it might be different.