Spigola

Help finding decent clamp on rod holder for 1" rail.

13 posts in this topic

Title says it.  I want to buy two (2) clamp on rod holders for the 1" bow rail on a 17' Mako. Don't want to spend a ton of money.  Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Spig

5 mins ago, Spigola said:

Is the bottom of that open or closed?

It's closed, but with holes so it drains.

I don't know what you consider expensive here, but I've got one Perko that ran me $60, and an Amarine from the big river site that ran about half that.  The Perko is industrial strength, the Amarine isn't bad for the money and does the trick for the kids fishing for smaller prey off the bow.  Both haven't shown any signs of corrosion and have drains.

On 4/14/2018 at 9:00 PM, Spigola said:

Title says it.  I want to buy two (2) clamp on rod holders for the 1" bow rail on a 17' Mako. Don't want to spend a ton of money.  Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Spig

Spigs, you certain that's 1" rail on the 17?  Later model or custom rail?  Because that doesnt sound right to me.  Certainly not on the 17 I had....

12 hours ago, makorider said:

Spigs, you certain that's 1" rail on the 17?  Later model or custom rail?  Because that doesnt sound right to me.  Certainly not on the 17 I had....

Fairly sure.  I held a tape measure alongside it and it seemed to be 1".  It's not my boat but I fish on it often and my spot is the forward of the console.  I need to have a place to hold my second rod while fishing and to keep it handy when running in the bay.

Posted (edited)

59 mins ago, InlandSalt said:

I bought a pair of rod holders a couple of years ago and still look like new, no corrosion.  Strong and solid clamping on a 7/8” rail, works up to 1”.  

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Amarine-man open bottom ade-Stylish-Stainless-Steel-Fishing-Clamp-On-Adjustable-Rod-Holder-SFR/162969297195?itemId=162969297195&epid=1339993655

Does that have an open bottom or is it sealed?

Edited by Spigola

It’s not open where a rod grip can pass through, there’s a bar for rod gimble. It won’t fill/hold water. 

I had Smiths on my old boat and they were bullet proof, I even used them as cleats at times, never long term just for fueling up, not cheap but very worth it.  If it was my boat I would hope my friend trying to improve his fishing position would use the best and not cause a maintenance problem with cheap hardware.