DreamsOfHatteras

Vintage Creek Chub Lip Metal Question

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone in here happen to know what metal was used in the lip pictured?  It's very attracted to magnets, so neither aluminum or stainless (as true stainless is not very magnetic in nature).  Any help is appreciated, I'm a builder, so I'm trying to sort out how saltwater safe these are, particularly if I notch out the ring loop for use with wire or screw eyes.  Thanks!

20180414_134500.jpg

Never having one rust assume they are SS

I've actually got one sitting in saltwater overnight to test lol.  It just throws me that it's so magnetically active...normally with stainless that's not the case.

FlatWing is right on the money; there are different types of stainless and according to what metals are contained in the type you have, the stainless can be magnetic and even rust. 

Dave

Posted (edited)

On 4/14/2018 at 6:34 PM, DreamsOfHatteras said:

I've actually got one sitting in saltwater overnight to test lol.  It just throws me that it's so magnetically active...normally with stainless that's not the case.

Krok swivels are supposedly stainless but they rust out and are magnetic .I hate them .Some stainless is magnetic because its not pure stainless steel its mixed with other metals.100% stainless steel is not magnetic.Spro swivels are not magnetic they are a better quality SS

Edited by IslandSurf

Posted (edited)

)Actually, the only stainless that is magnetic due to the inclusion of ferrite (i.e., iron) is ferritic SS, and with the exception of 316 SS, the 400 series SS (see chart in pdf) document is more corrosion resistant.  The most corrosion resistant and highest strength SS is magnetic, and it is 17-4PH, which gets it magnetisim not from the inclusion of magnetic metals, but from the fact that its micro structure is the result of the precipitate hardening that gives it its strength.  Note that even austenitic SS, if cold worked enough, (i.e, bent to shape, threads rolled, etc.) can form martensitic microstructure. 

Edited by FlatWing

Good stuff!  I had no science behind my theory, just what I had read/been told.  It's not rusty after 2 days of saltwater and another day sitting with salt crust on it, so I'm pretty sure it's safe.  Sooner or later I'll try to figure out just how old the lips are too.  They're a really cool size, about the size of my fingernail on my index finger.

Thanks guys for the info!