Little

BBQ Pitmaster Johnny Trigg's Competition Chicken

318 posts in this topic

Instructions and pitchers too.

Get a bag of thighs that are as much the same size as possible, they always throw a couple oddballs in, try to avoid those

Lay out the thighs skin down and spread them out flat to trim.  Trim them back to square-cut all the excess skin away AND into the meat so that the meat at the edges is thicker than the skin.  Now that first bite will be meat instead of just skin*

Now for the seasoning.

To the meat side ONLY.  massage in a light coat of Peanut Oil.  A medium layer of Lawrys season salt (Trigg dumps Lawrys on everything he cooks as a base), then a rub of your choice, but make it a sweet one.  His choice, and I used here (cause he gave us all some) is Obie Que's Sweet n Heat.

Let it rest 45 minutes.

FzOWqqhQRIudJEDjuToAww.thumb.jpg.5b167d73535eac7b632bd1a849463c7e.jpg

* A note on skin.  The term or method of "bite through skin".  So the judge bites off a piece of skin and the whole skin doesnt slide off the chicken-you bite through it

Until I took this class, I had never had any real competition style chicken.  And I was under the impression that "bite through skin" came from keeping the skin really dry so it cooked crisp and you bit through it like a potato chip.  And I rarely got that right.  If you follow this method, the skin will be soft and delicate, but not rubbery.  And you really do bite right through it.

Light cooker and get it to 275.  I hqve the guru on today cause its windy as hell

5ad254349b623_4qJ9bFESA6T90rbv12dFA.thumb.jpg.dc0c60f7272e89df1debf855cfcee574.jpg

Enlist the help of a Black Dog

5ad254635964b_1iHKmD2Qs2Yqvntz1hulw.thumb.jpg.554ab68c70347d267b5812c58c5bdbf2.jpg

Now we know where Red gets his pork bread.

And stand by for some high praise for that cutting board to the left of Egg from a certain chef from MA. :th:

*Srsly, sounds great, looking forward to the finish.

Do you put the chicken directly on the grill or do you keep it in that aluminium tray? 

for perfect competition chicken thighs, you need to find and remove the deep veins. 

next time you see Trigg, ask him about his only ever DQ - my friend gave it to him. 

never take the temp through foil ;)

Ok after the meat has rested and the rub has melted in, take each thigh, and rub just a tad of the oil from the meat side on to the skin.  Then form it up so that the meat folds over the bone.  Put the thighs in an aluminum pan and use small pans so that they are in there nice and tight.  This is important because it helps create the shape you want so the judge bites that sweet spot.  once the thighs are packed in the pan (8 medium size thighs fot in an 8x8 pan.  Cram as much butter BETWEEN the thighs as you can.  I got a little more than one stick in there.

5ad25ee391210_sKgf1dtMQqeUveT3ewCA.thumb.jpg.249ce313eee22a2ddb8511bb87e4b31c.jpg

Cover with foil and onto the pit for 1 hour 15 minutes

xG1lgC3XSxKbUqyLKSR4Lw.thumb.jpg.f93c94e30e184b9badeaa1a297638820.jpg

33 mins ago, blastwater said:

Do you put the chicken directly on the grill or do you keep it in that aluminium tray? 

Stay tumed.  In the pan for now

13 mins ago, Aquacide said:

for perfect competition chicken thighs, you need to find and remove the deep veins. 

next time you see Trigg, ask him about his only ever DQ - my friend gave it to him. 

never take the temp through foil ;)

He told us that tale.

As for the veins and the scraping the skin stuff, he says he never does that, just because he doesnt like prepping chicken.

Get the sauce ready.  We are going to quickly dunk the thighs in  sauce before the last time on the pit.

His flavor is sweet and only slightly hot, and he mixes two store bought sauces.  I guess this is where you do your own thing.

His sauces are three parts Head Country Original to one part Craigs BBQ Sauce.  Warm in a pan just a bit.

X5HIFAYQTpuv6XX7DTzxAA.thumb.jpg.fe32ded2c77497ac26434d75a734c9cd.jpg

Also, get one of those throw away grates, so you can line up all the thighs and plop them all at once back on the pit, we are going to do that a couple times.

5ad263e4b70a4_1j3CHTwNTtqaM6FFktJTg.thumb.jpg.3d129f47441bfc3e7c016051c3452d32.jpg

Posted (edited)

Next step is coming. .

At one hour 15 minutes, pull the pan off the pit.  Remove the foil, and flip the thighs skin down into the butter and let rest 15 minutes off the pit.

Then we put them skin up on the flexible grate and  back on the pit for 15 minutes.

Music accompaniment,  Songs in the Key of Life.

Edited by Little

they come out at thi point pale and cooked almost through.

Lets face it, this is chicken poached in butter and finished with smoke

IMG_0023.thumb.JPG.1fdffd4f4d7086f99aba720697c1782e.JPG