Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonefishdick

Sanibel Report 04-14-18

3 posts in this topic

The winds are back to the E and Se and will be sw tomorrow and blowing hard according to the forecast.

Today I looked at the beach before sunrise but the water was dead low s I decided to just hit Blind Pass with the hopes some bait moved in. It seems like the bait has somewhat vanished the last few days and I suspect that may be due to a bit of Red Tide in the area. Lots of people coughing and hacking. I felt it a bit yesterday and again today. It is something that creeps up on you and you will notice it.

My first catch of the day on my Chernobyl, took it on the dead drift as I let it sink.

P1100358sol.JPG.ee5ec2c609505647f23f8f3b5ca68aaf.JPG

The best part of the fight was trying to get this guy to give up the fly. 

My second catch of the day was a small Pompano, most of the Poms have been I have taken have been very good sized fish up to now.

The third catch of the day was a nice Spec, this guy hit in close as I dragged the fly up over the edge out of the tough. This was a very pretty Trout,

P1100362sol.JPG.944fb820b268f561b7c7f578bae76a74.JPG

This fish came just before 8 am and I had hoped things would pick up now that I had some moving water, In the next 1 1/2 hours I had a few bumps and one more dropped fish but I think the tide brought in morre sheller than bait and fish so I decided to take a ride through Ding Darling.

I made it to the first stop in Ding that I thought might something going on and to my surprise I did see a nice size Tarpon roll. I parked the car and got dragged out my other rod already rigged up and waited for the second roll. It did not take long but the fish was a long cast away due to thelow water. I had a number of decent shots at them but was unable to entice anythinging with any of the three flies I tried. I suspect if I had been there earlier I may have had a better shot with the water being higher and the fish possibly being closer. I worked the fish for about an hour and then it seemed like they decided to not show any more. I mover through the rest of the refuge without any more sightings. 

Tomorrow with the high wind prediction I thing I may just hot the refuge early with the high water and hope something happens. 

Posted (edited)

I spent my day at the Orvis-endorsed flyfishing school taught by Capt Rick Grassett out of CB Outfitters. I learned some things and he helped me work on my casting. It was a day well spent and it did me a lot of good.

Edited by Del Gue