TroutGhost

Do Fiberglass Rods Have a Place in Fishing Today? Or Obsolete?

44 posts in this topic

My all fiberglass surf rods have gone to a special place, the dump. Composite rods can incorporate the best of both fiberglass and graphite for the people looking for a more moderate action but still keeping sensitivity. Use of different fibers and manufacturing processes also can give the composites extra strength and resistance to damage.

There's always someone who wants to fish but has no tackle money.  Mention stuff you're giving away, people will take it. 

7 hours ago, MichaelT said:

My all fiberglass surf rods have gone to a special place, the dump.....

I do not understand why

You could donate to Salvation army or any other thrift store

On 4/14/2018 at 6:42 AM, sandworm said:

They are still in use, there are company out there that uses graphite and glass rod together . But I still enjoy using my vintage fenwick  trout rods from the early 70's.  The biggest thrill is landing a big fish on a light tackle. still have my old 11 footer honey rod from lamiglas.

Certain manufacturers like Ocean Master combines glass w/graphite on their heavier rated shoreline models. Graphite provides the "snap" while the flexing glass "hoisting" power. For todays anglers most choose graphite rods. If you bottom jig for sizeable fish, like Groupers, i'd prefer the heavier glass rods. You need that bend. 

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

I do not understand why

You could donate to Salvation army or any other thrift store

Like many things they sat in the basement for many years with the thought that maybe they would be used again. When the basement clutter of things I would never use again got to be to much the purge occurred. Didn't have time to sort just got ride of the stuff.

I still fish a lami honey glass rod. It has its many benefits and drawbacks. I find the slow moderate action of it very versatile for the kind of plugs I throw. They excel at throwing unweighted sluggos, metal lips, and live eel. The soft tip of glass rods also help impart the pulsating action needed when swimming metal lips, darters and metal spoons. They also work spooks and pencils like a dream.

However, because of the slow action, glass rod lacks the sensitivity and response needed when jigging or bucktailing. This is where graphite rods excel. I do jig and bucktail with my glass rod only if I'm throwing lighter jigs anywhere between 3/4oz to 1-1/4oz. My reflex would have to be quicker when I feel the tap. 

Glass rods are heavier by today's standards. Probably the main reason why most people don't bother for it. 

I love glass for bait rods, specifically for sharking. I know most people are talking about plugging rods here but I love my el-cheapo glass bait rod. There's just something relieving about being able to sit on the rod with heavy drag and let a shark rip line for a few hundred yards. I keep saying that when this rod breaks Ill buy a higher end sharking rod, but every time I push the rod farther it just eats it and begs for more. Saw 4 friends' graphite rods snap last season and my $35 is still well spent!

I use to toss pencils from the kayak. I have a few lami glass blanks I built pencils rods for. I just don't toss pencils anymore. It's all about plastic at night...and I have to take the light weight graphites  and carbon graphites out. Light weight rules when jigging at night.

All my fishing gear is "obsolete", but it still catches (and lands) the fish just fine ... presuming I do my part ... and the fish are awake, where I am, and are hungry ...

Of course the same would be true if I had all the "latest and greatest" gear, so I don't see any reason to "upgrade". :)

Fiberglass rods are great in thunderstorms, much safer. Graphite is a great conductor of electricity.

Edited by MikeBlue

I recently switched back to glass, i mainly chunking now, casting heavy bait is so much easier, better and smoother with glass rod than graphite, especially in windy weather.

With glass, Im not worrying about hurting my finger, bait rip out the hook, and line snapped off when casting, its perfect for bait fishing.

I picked up a glass rod for chunking. Looking forward to trying it out! 

I picked up another glass rod, 8 ft, for tossing spoons. Rated for 1/2 oz to to 3 oz.  Took it out for a test last month and it worked great.