Fishin Technician

Ultra light Spinning for Smallmouth and Trout

32 posts in this topic

Love the UL for smallmouth and trout. The smallies are usually airborne before the line comes tight. 

 

Treasure my old Penn 716 and Mitchell 308 but a tiny 15 dollar Shimano provides easy entry to the field.

 

"Pro tips" :) Panther Martin is a killer but unlike spinners  tiny Rapalas and Pin's Minnows can be effectively fished by casting downstream.

 

Worried about the drag --- look into backreeling tactic -- huge in the Upper Midwest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, whistlefish said:

Love the UL for smallmouth and trout. The smallies are usually airborne before the line comes tight. 

 

Treasure my old Penn 716 and Mitchell 308 but a tiny 15 dollar Shimano provides easy entry to the field.

 

"Pro tips" :) Panther Martin is a killer but unlike spinners  tiny Rapalas and Pin's Minnows can be effectively fished by casting downstream.

 

Worried about the drag --- look into backreeling tactic -- huge in the Upper Midwest.

 

Aw yeah!  Joe's Flies are awesome vibe baits for light water also.    

 

Unweighted T-rigged slug-gos absolutely SLAY in the rivers and streams near me.  Trout, smallies, rock bass you name it, you're catching everything with those little 3.5" (iirc) ones along with their matching Texposer hooks.  Just let the current take it, give a few twitches as it flutterrs past calm or deep rocks and WHAM.  That and the Slurpies from Northland Tackle are a lot of fun- basically a tiny fry tube.  Super easy and almost always produces for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 mins ago, MagicMatt3R5 said:

 

Aldebaran.  Killer reel!!  

 

Pressos and Pixies are about an ounce heavier, give or take.  

Didn’t realize it was that light..nuts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, cashews121 said:

Didn’t realize it was that light..nuts

 

The real crazy part is how light of baits you can throw with it.  We're talking spinning reel performance.  On top of that unbelievable stock performance you can buy finesse spools and mirco bearings etc too.  I imagine you can cast dry flies at that point if you can find a rod to load the weight, it's pretty insane what can be done nowadays.  I hope someday they can cmoe up with a finesse friendly version of the DC braking system to apply to this platform, because while I love my Anteres DC, it can't do that small of math and wind gets to be quite the issue at bait weights that low.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

38 mins ago, MagicMatt3R5 said:

 

The real crazy part is how light of baits you can throw with it.  We're talking spinning reel performance.  On top of that unbelievable stock performance you can buy finesse spools and mirco bearings etc too.  I imagine you can cast dry flies at that point if you can find a rod to load the weight, it's pretty insane what can be done nowadays.  I hope someday they can cmoe up with a finesse friendly version of the DC braking system to apply to this platform, because while I love my Anteres DC, it can't do that small of math and wind gets to be quite the issue at bait weights that low.    

Yeah..I throw what I call scrappydoo rigs using size 10 jig nymph hooks,hand made screw locks and a bb split shot.  Comes in at 1/54th of an ounce...add a mealworm (weedless i might add) and it throws it 20 feet.....but it's a bit pendulumy on the cast.  1/16 is it's comfort zone.

To get a more straight line of attack with 1/32 and 1/50 you would need a light spool (ktf)..not sure if the hedgehog air bearings would really help that light.

But that would be the only difference.....light baits tend to swing on the rod tip so if your casting mostion moves from left to right...........the bait is gonna float right ass it pulls against the resistance of the ine coming off the spool and through the guides.

 

I'd love a DC bfs reel....how they haven't made it yet is beyond me.  The old te dc spool just had a colored section for the dc to read off of..so no weight would be need tor it to function.

Edited by scoobydoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 mins ago, cashews121 said:

Didn’t realize it was that light..nuts

yeah....I love light reels..

Steez sv tws, Abu MGX, Abu MGXTreme2 were what i had been using the past year....converted an MGX to a bfs reel a few years back....and decided to sell a metanium dc and grab a aldebaran bfs.

it's fun...the clicking drag on it is awesome...you feel it in your fingers when gripping the handle on the retrieve...one of the most unsung benefits of a click drag incorporated into the drive gear/drag stack....it's like haptic feedback on your smart phone.

 

And line twist all but goes away completely :)

only downfall is 4lb fluoro is thin enough to get between teh spool and frame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.4.2018. at 4:11 AM, Beastly Backlash said:

Look up the Okuma SST Kokanee Spinning rods. 

maybe Okuma One Rods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

yeah....I love light reels..

Steez sv tws, Abu MGX, Abu MGXTreme2 were what i had been using the past year....converted an MGX to a bfs reel a few years back....and decided to sell a metanium dc and grab a aldebaran bfs.

it's fun...the clicking drag on it is awesome...you feel it in your fingers when gripping the handle on the retrieve...one of the most unsung benefits of a click drag incorporated into the drive gear/drag stack....it's like haptic feedback on your smart phone.

 

And line twist all but goes away completely :)

only downfall is 4lb fluoro is thin enough to get between teh spool and frame

 

I almost sold my Pixy R to move to an Alde when they came out and lust level was high, but for what I use it for it would have been a waste.  I have the PXLR on my NRX 852c and use it for t-rigged plastics and finesse frogs.  I’d need a dedicated bfs rod to justify an alde IMO.  

 

Have you you tried any Major Craft rods yet?  I am a Megabass guy but was blown away at what you can get for the money with MC.  Their bfs line is pretty extensive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MagicMatt3R5 said:

 

I almost sold my Pixy R to move to an Alde when they came out and lust level was high, but for what I use it for it would have been a waste.  I have the PXLR on my NRX 852c and use it for t-rigged plastics and finesse frogs.  I’d need a dedicated bfs rod to justify an alde IMO.  

 

Have you you tried any Major Craft rods yet?  I am a Megabass guy but was blown away at what you can get for the money with MC.  Their bfs line is pretty extensive.  

I had a pixilla and press years ago and loved it....amazing how much better the current bfs setups are then back then.  

I have fished a volkey but nothing else from them.  you get a ton for your $$$$ 

 

The pxlr is pretty comfy at 1/8 ounce aerodynamic baits.  I think you can snag a spool upgrade and get real low around 1/32 if not mistaken.

My dedicated bfs stick is a st croix legend gulf coast.....pretty funny that the lightest baitcaster st croix makes is a saltwater rod...no clue what it's purpose is for......but it works great at ultralight offerings.

I think it was a sabiki stick lol or something

 

I was blown away at what you get out of the Kistler rods using the NFC blanks holy crap that's a nice rod for 200$  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

I had a pixilla and press years ago and loved it....amazing how much better the current bfs setups are then back then.  

I have fished a volkey but nothing else from them.  you get a ton for your $$$$ 

 

The pxlr is pretty comfy at 1/8 ounce aerodynamic baits.  I think you can snag a spool upgrade and get real low around 1/32 if not mistaken.

My dedicated bfs stick is a st croix legend gulf coast.....pretty funny that the lightest baitcaster st croix makes is a saltwater rod...no clue what it's purpose is for......but it works great at ultralight offerings.

I think it was a sabiki stick lol or something

 

I was blown away at what you get out of the Kistler rods using the NFC blanks holy crap that's a nice rod for 200$  

 

Lol st croix WOULD make a legend sabiki stick haha

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

yeah....I love light reels..

Steez sv tws, Abu MGX, Abu MGXTreme2 were what i had been using the past year....converted an MGX to a bfs reel a few years back....and decided to sell a metanium dc and grab a aldebaran bfs.

it's fun...the clicking drag on it is awesome...you feel it in your fingers when gripping the handle on the retrieve...one of the most unsung benefits of a click drag incorporated into the drive gear/drag stack....it's like haptic feedback on your smart phone.

 

And line twist all but goes away completely :)

only downfall is 4lb fluoro is thin enough to get between teh spool and frame

Lighter gear is more sensitive gear,,I am still happy with my TDZ103ML’s though,,never found anything I like better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite, but try a 105H spool or the steez sv spool on your tdz.  BFS is a very thin edge, it's very easy to push it too far.  I am not going there again.  As long as you have decent spinner setup, you'll be better than 90% of the bfs gear for equal amount of money spent. 

 

And scoob, watch out for the expensive backcast. lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Each year my season begins with the stock trout they put around where I live. I have always like fishing the ultra light rods and the two st croix  UL premier  Rods I have are great for what I do . I have one 6’ with a size 10  quantum smoke and one 7’ with a size 15 quantum smoke.  Both I have filled with Berkeley 6 lb natofil  and I’ll use a 2.5 foot 4 lb leader. These setups work great for the lures I use small  Rapalas, spoons , flat fish , and using trout worms sometimes when times get tuff. I like the 7’ set up more for the slow trolling and the 6’ setup for the cast and reel stuff. 

E5BF411A-E111-43B8-BF41-BC98E856DC4E.jpeg

6FE49BA3-93B7-4515-8967-18A194059C4C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I use the Gloomis SR781-1 IMX and SR782-1 IMX spinning rods for trout. They are both 6’ 6” rods but have the feel of the nice small 5’ trout rods. Problem with most 6’ 6” -7’ Rods out there is they go to a much larger cork handle especially the lower section. This doesn’t match well with the real untralight 1000-2000 size reels. The two Loomis rods I mention keep the handle on the smaller size to match up well with ultralight reels. The reason for the longer length is a lot more distance with very light lures. If you get a chance to check these two Loomis rods out do it. These two are different from the norm of what is available in ultralight rods. 

 

Pic of of one of my setups. Notice handle size for 6’ 6” rod. 

455A33A9-B4D6-490C-93B5-95C7055C0A1E.jpeg

Edited by Tailslap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.