Fishin Technician

Ultra light Spinning for Smallmouth and Trout

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was just wondering if any one still utilizes Ultra Lite spinning tackle for either trout or bass. I always prefer the fly rod or fishing, but have been thinking about sinning with UL spinning again this year when conditions warrant this approach.  I was into this type of fishing in the 70's and have acquired a collection of UL tackle. Alcedo Microns, Orvis 50A, Quick 1001 and Penn 716Z reels along with 1960-70 Browning Silaflex and Fenwick fiberglass rods between 4'6" and 6'6".

Lines between 2lb. and 4lb. The lines we are talking here are with rods that  have a weight of 2 ounces to 3 ounces (blank only) that can cast 1/32 to 1/4 spinners with accuracy. Old CP swings , Panther Martins and 00 Mepps were the lure that worked

Regards,

FT

100_2136[1].JPG

Edited by Fishin Technician
spell chk

my experience with smb (unless they are very small) is that the reel doesn't matter that much but those superlight trout rods are going to make playing a decent size smallmouth an adventure.  typically you are trying to land the fish reasonably quickly and a very light rod isn't going to make that happen, thus releasing one after an extended fight will more likely kill the fish. but, if that's the intention, so be it.  for trout, however, I love a 4 1/2 foot fenwick with ultralight lures like the cp swing.  and keep your eye out for Garcia Mitchell 408 reels!

308 & 408's were in my arsenal year ago built like tanks but were cranky. The good thing about them is that you can still upgrade them.

UL tactic is to put a bend in the rod and keep it there, wear them down fast. Also the down and dirty attack works well.

FT

Posted (edited)

An acquaintance gave me her deceased husband's old St. Croix UL rod. It's graphite. Took it out last Sunday and it performed perfectly casting light spoons. 

I regularly fish with an UL Shimano that cost me about $99 seven years ago, paired with an UL Symetre. One of my favorite rigs for fishing lakes and slow moving rivers. When desperate for a bite, I can cast a worm on 2# test line and get a wonderfully natural drift. No need for split shot.

Edited by TroutGhost

Posted (edited)

A worm on a 14 hook or even a 12 is deadly, I used to use "live" 3 inch or smaller minnows until they were skewered with a bait needle on UL , maybe with a tiny split shot above an eagle claw snelled number 6 below a snap swivel, with worms I never used snells.

The big browns hit so hard they would send the minnow intact above the swivel from the impact of the strike and still be hooked.

As I said I do prefer the fly rod but at this stage of my life I am reinventing my younger daze :). There was nothing that compared to being on a good trout stream in advance of a thunderstorm, and cast # 3 spinners or sewn minnow or night crawlers........I used to break speed limits to get there before it got "roily". Big fish just got stupid under such conditions, and I am sure that the same approach will still produce today..............1930 Bass wet flies that are bigger than a half dollar coin might work in the same conditions...use an 0X tippet.

I use 4 pound test on UL reels and knot a spool of 5x tippet material as 2 lb. tippet when needed.

Regards,

Ft

Edited by Fishin Technician

Yep, I still use UL, the vintage ones.  Mitchell 308, Shakespeare 2052, and DAM Quick 110.  They're 50+ years old and still going strong.  

308.jpg

2 2052.jpg

Capture.JPG

I gotta ask...have you guys used some of the latest composite reels?

Something to be said about a reel that manages fluro or any line for that matter very well....and weighs 5-7 ounces.  

LIttle tiny 500 sized reels are heavier than some of the new 2000 sized reels.  

it's pretty cool goin that light....One my my baitcasters i use weighs 4.5 ounces....(((NO MORE LINE TWIST EVER!!  even has a click drag)))  

2018 is awesome :)

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Something to be said about a reel that manages fluro or any line for that matter very well....and weighs 5-7 ounces.  

it's pretty cool goin that light....One my my baitcasters i use weighs 4.5 ounces....(((NO MORE LINE TWIST EVER!!  even has a click drag)))  

what baitcaster weighs 4.5oz?

I use a 5’6 UL falcon rod with a ci4 stradic 1000 with 4lb mono for trout and small bass

23 mins ago, MikedNJ said:

I use a 5’6 UL falcon rod with a ci4 stradic 1000 with 4lb mono for trout and small bass

I also use a Stradic1000 ( first gen, and still going...) for light application on a 5'6 fast action rod. For ultralight, I bought a Quantum Traxx combo for 60 or 70 bucks...I love it.

^..^

20160128_135806A.jpg

I sure do!  

Picked up a Major Craft Benkei 6’5” light rod- good down to 1/32oz.  It is an xf blank and has a solid tip section for the lightest of light bites.  Originally tried a 1500 BG on it but sized down to A President 500 and it’s beyond light and crisp.  

Love be playing the drag game in current with a nice fish on!  

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Going to have to agree on that!

What finesse casting rig are you using?  4.5oz can only be an Aldebaran right?   

I’ve got a Daiwa Pixie R with a few upgrades that slings an unweighted slug-go or NED rig like you wouldn’t believe!  MAN I love that reel.  Pixzillas are such workhorses!  

Edited by MagicMatt3R5

5 hours ago, cashews121 said:

what baitcaster weighs 4.5oz?

Aldebaran.  Killer reel!!  

Pressos and Pixies are about an ounce heavier, give or take.  

Posted (edited)

In Eastern PA we fish for trout and smallmouth alot!

For trout ultra light gear ( 4.0" or 4.6" rod & ultralight reel) are fine with 4 lb test line but not for smallmouth.

Some great bait is Berkley Powerbait Power Honey Worms and Berkley Gulp Magots/Asticots. On sz 12 or 14 hooks the trout just suck them in.

For smallmouth go up to 6 lb test line and a 5  ft or 5.6 rod and the next reel size+ up from ultralight or you'll end up with alot of fish swimming around with your hooks. Small swimmerbaits are great for smallmouth as well as small Rapala or similar minnows.

Edited by glennsav