Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Larrybudwiser

Tomorrow on the Hook

9 posts in this topic

Having been away for a few years, I'm going to take advantage of this beautiful weather and take my 9wt for a walk down on Sandy Hook (NJ) tomorrow. A quick scan of on-line fishing reports are showing hook boats catching some schoolies and small keeper in Raritan Bay so I'm going to head down and see if I can catch anything on the flood. Noting that I've been away and really haven't striper fished for at least 3 or 4 years, anyone have a suggestion for a pattern to start with? I'm being told that the waters in the mid-upper 40's, thinking of being there before daylight to set up.

I would start with a large olive deceiver. I don't fly fish, but use them as my go to teaser with very good results.

Good luck

Jim

I would say your going to have a lot of company , Herring pattern would be real nice . Tight Lines 

36 mins ago, Hook I said:

I would say your going to have a lot of company , Herring pattern would be real nice . Tight Lines 

LOL, was thinking that, was hoping everyone was going to be chasin' trout! Looked at some of my notes from years ago, seems like clousers, deceivers and something like a shiny popper for some surface work once the sun's high on the water.  

Fish slow. Slack low water appeals to me at this time of year, and so does dark bottom and any place through which water from a dark bottom has been draining.

Been catching a lot of fish lately in Raritan Bay slong the coastline (there is a ton of cars/trucks/rickshaws at EVERY spot). Big Hollows in Olive and white, blue and white and all yellow. You have to retrieve as fast as you can believe it or not. Hook ups were better with fast retrieve yet you have find what works.

Posted (edited)

It was a beautiful day, I'd like to think of it as things to come. It was good to be back to the "scene of the crime" where I learned to do this so many years ago. Wind was light SW and the sun was warm-just a pretty day to walk the beach. I did the full circle around Raritan Bay, started at the Hook at first light on a rising/topping tide, working all the way a round to Cheesequake by late afternoon. Hooked some schoolies, 18" on olive and white clousers early and then a blue and white deceiver as the sun got on the water. Missed something big at Union Beach later in the day after low tide on the flood. You're not kidding about the trucks/cars/rickshaws-there were so many kayaks, it looked like an amphibious invasion of Eskimos at first light.

I used a 9 wt rod that I hadn't used in quite a while and have to say, I was less than impressed with my casting-really got hung up at 50-60 feet. I'm not sure but am thinking that I got too used to the "war club" 11 wt I was using overseas and could hit 90 feet out in high winds. I hate saying it but I'm thinking I need to get some coaching on what the hell I'm doing wrong but that's probably another thread. 

Edited by Larrybudwiser

Welcome Aboard Larry!  You are going to like it here. If you need a spotter, I live in Atlantic Highlands. 

Bob

I always start with a chartreuse half n' half.  Best of both worlds.  How'd it go?