An Interesting Read

Rate this topic

Ftyer

52 mins ago, Ftyer said:

I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere on here yet (?), but I figured I'd throw this one out there: http://www.sweetwaternow.com/opinion-fly-fishing-brand-ambassadors-social-media-what-might-they-be-doing-to-your-fishery/

I read it the other day. An oversimplification, but accurate. The desperately ambitious angler is easy to spot, and easy to avoid.

"Talent does what it can, genius does what it has to"

Here's the bottom line. Social media (and yes that includes forums like this) are not a good thing in most cases for fisheries. We all like to think that most guys who participate on these boards are good dudes. And that is true. But there are also a ton of guys who are simply looking for spot intel. It used to be mostly "internet scouters" who never posted just lurked in the shadows to see what intel they could gather. Shoot now they come right out and ask of course with the requisite "well I am not looking for your hot spots just some place to get started." Its why I stopped posting fishing or hunting reports years ago. 

There are certainly some fantastic uses for these types of forums when it comes to tackle questions, techniques, things like that. But fishing reports are IMO not a good thing.

On 4/13/2018 at 3:17 PM, Ftyer said:

I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere on here yet (?), but I figured I'd throw this one out there: http://www.sweetwaternow.com/opinion-fly-fishing-brand-ambassadors-social-media-what-might-they-be-doing-to-your-fishery/

I was really disappointed by this article.  One thing I have found and appreciated about fly fishing is that most everyone I meet assumes responsibility for the fishery.  If they misstep (like pulling fish of redds), it's because they just didn't know better.

This seems to be an exception.

5 hours ago, JCH said:

I was really disappointed by this article.  One thing I have found and appreciated about fly fishing is that most everyone I meet assumes responsibility for the fishery.  If they misstep (like pulling fish of redds), it's because they just didn't know better.

This seems to be an exception.

Unfortunately, this is not my experience at all. I have seen fly fishermen, on several occasions, harass landlock salmon for ridiculous amounts of time until they hook or foul hook one or both fish. 

Embrace American Privilege

12 hours ago, DAQ said:

Unfortunately, this is not my experience at all. I have seen fly fishermen, on several occasions, harass landlock salmon for ridiculous amounts of time until they hook or foul hook one or both fish. 

I've seens horrors that would make you take up golf. Our tarpon take a beating every year. The corpses of the "successfully released", wash up daily once our bait migrations begin. Fish get dragged up on the sand, hoisted by their bloody gill plates, then tossed back in the water without a care. These fish are typically older than the people targeting them.

"Talent does what it can, genius does what it has to"

11 mins ago, Local66 said:

I've seens horrors that would make you take up golf. Our tarpon take a beating every year. The corpses of the "successfully released", wash up daily once our bait migrations begin. Fish get dragged up on the sand, hoisted by their bloody gill plates, then tossed back in the water without a care. These fish are typically older than the people targeting them.

Man, I believe I know which migration you're referencing and that really is such a shame. Assuming that you're in Florida, I do believe there is a certain regulation against lifting fish larger than four feet (don't quote me on that figure) out of the water, so I guess you could alert authorities to that one, however, as that article shows, people do love to bend the rules for their own personal gain. I'm really hoping that that "I display my masculinity by taking "sick" fish pics, bro" attitude goes the way of the dodo, but I can't say I see that happening in my lifetime, unfortunately. Haha, and as far as taking up golfing goes, I wish I could, but the moral dilemma that I face with going to a course weighs too heavily on me, since golf courses are very often the cause of excess nutrients in the water...talk about a lose/lose situation.

14 hours ago, Ftyer said:

Man, I believe I know which migration you're referencing and that really is such a shame. Assuming that you're in Florida, I do believe there is a certain regulation against lifting fish larger than four feet (don't quote me on that figure) out of the water, so I guess you could alert authorities to that one, however, as that article shows, people do love to bend the rules for their own personal gain. I'm really hoping that that "I display my masculinity by taking "sick" fish pics, bro" attitude goes the way of the dodo, but I can't say I see that happening in my lifetime, unfortunately. Haha, and as far as taking up golfing goes, I wish I could, but the moral dilemma that I face with going to a course weighs too heavily on me, since golf courses are very often the cause of excess nutrients in the water...talk about a lose/lose situation.

Most of the fish we target won't be alive after our lifetime. Or at the very least, they will not be in large enough numbers to target.