JCH

Jerry Brown - Gel Spun Backing

28 posts in this topic

I recently updated my tarpon outfit and the fly shop recommended Jerry Brown gel spun backing.  Apparently, it is 50# test at the diameter of Dacron 20# - which means I can fit a lot more 50# than I would otherwise, and that it's not going to slice my finger open if I get near it on a run.  Sounds ideal.

I'm not familiar with Jerry Brown, and I can't find out much about them.  They don't seem to have a website.  I can't even definitively say it's not backing made by the Governor of California.

Does anyone know anything about them?

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, I tried the Google.  Hard to believe any company doesn't have a website these days.

Jerry Brown was 80 something years old 15 years ago, when I used to buy his stuff. He'd ship me 500yd spools and tell me to send him a personal check. He didn't take credit cards back then. JB1 is definitely an improvement over dacron/micron, but there's other hollow core braids today with higher pic counts and tighter weaves. I like power pro hollow ace in 40lb, but Cortland makes a decent hollow core also. It's spliceable, lays flat under tension, and it has a lower drag coefficient in the water (tuna & tarpon guys will love that). The only downside to hollow core is that you'll hear hypothetical horror stories from people who have never used it. It will cut you, but it'll take a considerable amount of effort on your part, and you'll totally deserve it.

What is the capacity of your reel with 30lb micron?

How much backing do you really need.

Don’t wanna hijack this thread and don’t wanna start new one so how is the new Hatch Premium Braided Backing??

50 mins ago, Kml said:

What is the capacity of your reel with 30lb micron?

How much backing do you really need.

250 Yards.  I'm unlikely to need all of it, but 200 feels like its cutting it close.

17 mins ago, quest450 said:

Don’t wanna hijack this thread and don’t wanna start new one so how is the new Hatch Premium Braided Backing??

The worst. It's rough due to the low pic count, and for some odd reason it's more expensive than the best hollow core on the market. I did everything I could to keep it off reels when I worked for a retailer.

Try BHP tackle dot com. He has all the Jerry brown braid you might need and then some including splicing needles. 

I use JB braid on most of my spin and conventional reels, From 10-100 lb. Yes it’s a bit more expensive but it doesn’t wind knot up like other brands do. Holds a knot well and doesn’t peal off any covering. 

Ive tried braid as a backing and found it cuts fingers nicely. The extra sdded amount of line to me is useless. If you need that much extra line as a backing you are not controlling the fish correctly to start with. Yes going beyond the line and into the backing is normal on some fish but overall not the everyday event. I’ve fished for bonefish, schoolie bluefin and the most the tuna took wouldn’t justify the need for twice the amount of backing. Use your angles of the rod and set a drag correctly will help more than and extra line length. 

Saltfisherman, I agree.  150 - 200 yards of backing is plenty for anything short of tuna.  I used to use 50lb Powerpro but I've switch back to 30# dacron.  I put a blind splice loop in it.  Much easier to handle then braid.  However I've never used 50# hollow braid.  Just the non hollow stuff.  I'd expect that 30# dacron and 50# hollow braid would have similar bulk but I could be wrong.  

Can't image bringing back a fish that is 150+ yards away unless you get lucky.

Quinn

38 mins ago, qecfly said:

Can't image bringing back a fish that is 150+ yards away unless you get lucky.

Quinn

Land based tarpon and spinner sharks take 200+ if that's what they feel like doing. I keep a loop of 20lb at the base of my leader so I can break them off when I need to. I've never been dumped, and I don't plan on ever letting it happen.

Land based is a different game. I hear tarpon I assume boat. If you need the extra capacity it seems like braid is the way to go. Most folks dont need it and way over spend on backing that never sees the light of day. 

JB is a quality braid , hollow core is the way to go . I use Toro Tamer by Charkbait  their hollow core goes down to 30# test , splices well .

u can splice Dacron same as hollow core only drawback it's quite a bit thicker and absorbs water thus adding weight and diameter to this type line .

Like noted HC braid is an offshore reel backing when u really get into your backing regularly .  

On 4/12/2018 at 8:56 AM, JCH said:

I recently updated my tarpon outfit and the fly shop recommended Jerry Brown gel spun backing.  Apparently, it is 50# test at the diameter of Dacron 20# - which means I can fit a lot more 50# than I would otherwise, and that it's not going to slice my finger open if I get near it on a run.  Sounds ideal.

If you haven't already done so ... look into Cortland C16 braid @ 80lbs test. It's smooth. lightly coated and tends to lay flat (while it's advertised as oval). The diameter is a tad thicker than 20lbs test Dacron and thinner than 30lbs test. So it handles very well. On a Tibor Gulfstream you'll get over 300 yards worth. The line is also splice-able. I'm putting the stuff on all of my 9 to 13 WF fly line Fly Reels. It's a superior 16 weave braided product likely to last (outlast?) my remaining life time.