Trekker

Can I Find Stripers or Bluefish in Early September ?

19 posts in this topic

Gents, I have a 5 day break from work in early September and am wanting to fish the salt. Coming from NW Ohio, I won't have time to drive much further North than Massachusetts.

Basically anywhere from North Carolina to Boston will fit into the tight window. 

Would it be a real longshot that time of year for a newbie to catch something, given my limited time?

Thanks!

Just bite the bullet and head to Montauk .  Bass and Blues for sure plus a good chance of Albies.  Book a charter or two.

Welcome aboard Trekker.  If you are set on Cape Cod.  The 1st week in Sept could be iffy.  Week 2 a little better,

You would be better off focusing on the Salmon and Steel head Fishing in Ohio in Lake Erie in Early September.  You will get 5 days of fishing  instead of 3 and save a ton of Fuel and lodging money 

How early in September are you free to come east.  1st Week in Sept would be iffy,  2nd week might work for the Canal, 3 and 4 weeks could be great.  As whacky as our weather has been for the past two years it is a roll of the dice in early Sept.  It's the middle of April and I should be u to my hips in Striped Bass 100 Miles up the Hudson River from New Your City and the Spawning Striped Bass are stuck 60 miles up the Hudson along with Shad and 2 species of river herring because the water is in the low 40 degree range. If it doesn't warm up I'll try the middle of May . 

Get connected to a Fishing Report site for Cape Cod and follow it closely beginning August 15 to see whats happening.  Check this site. Salty Ca[e Cod  It has fishing reports for CC Also check the Mass fishing reports by SOL anglers on SOL 

With 5 days you need good intell and some one telling you go here or there now isn't practical 5 months into the future.

If you do get Salty Cape now you can archive last September's reports for Cape Cod Canal and Cape Cod Bay.

Striped Bass stage in Cape Cod Bay and follow the millions of Young of the Year bait species as they begin the North to South Migration in September.

Best of luck.

RJ

I was @ the Cape 1st wk of Oct in 2017 and all I heard was "ya shoulda been here in Sept".We got into blues and bass and you will too.

Poppers and peanut imitations are about all you'll need,but don't forget the wire for the poppers.

Sept in the GL is more about king salmon,steel make a stronger showing when it starts to get cold and Nov/Dec is prime for chrome fish.

I'm an Ohio boy too....Dayton.

Posted (edited)

You will have no problem hitting fish in Sept. RI south shore, like mentioned Montalk, and the Jersey shore, all good places. It may not be the real big girls on the move but,there will be fish. Just get out there and put time in.

Edited by JoeSWFF

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Trekker said:

Gents, I have a 5 day break from work in early September and am wanting to fish the salt. Coming from NW Ohio, I won't have time to drive much further North than Massachusetts.

Basically anywhere from North Carolina to Boston will fit into the tight window. 

Would it be a real longshot that time of year for a newbie to catch something, given my limited time?

Thanks!

Don't listen to that naysaying non-resident knucklehead about the Cape. It's true that early Sept in general isn't usually considered peak striper fishing from shore. There's a couple things going on. The first is that you're into the warmest water temps of the year, in some locations beyond striper's temp preferences. So there won't be many bass around close to shore in, say, parts of Nantucket Sound, when the water temp is in the 70's. CCB has cooler water, and the east side is always cold. It's also the time of year when the fish are starting to gear up for migration, and get kinda moody or something. But the bass fishing doesn't stop, and you'll be able to find schoolies someplace, you'll just have to figure out where. I suggest you look at the threads in this forum from last Sept, esp bonefishdick's.

Bluefish pops are really cyclical. There hasn't been great abundance the last few years, esp the smaller ones. No telling if this year will be better or worse. Early Sept is also false albacore season. If you hook one of those, you might forget all about bass...they're the favorite target of many light-tackle guys. I'd bring a spin outfit too, something that can cast 3/4-2 oz, it'll expand your options.

Edited by patchyfog

11 mins ago, patchyfog said:

Early Sept is also false albacore season. If you hook one of those, you might forget all about bass

Yes.  I'd consider New York too - you can fly into JFK and be fishing Jamaica Bay in 20 minutes.  JBay fished better than Montauk last year, believe it or not...

1 hour ago, slip n slide said:

Sept in the GL is more about king salmon,steel make a stronger showing when it starts to get cold and Nov/Dec is prime for chrome fish.

I'm an Ohio boy too....Dayton.

Right now is the time to fish the Great Lakes tribs for steelhead. I'm originally from Cleveland and I'm heading back there next week to fish those streams. The spring runs should be in full force right about now through early May. Check a site like Riverboss to follow the water levels. Timing is everything on those streams. They flood very quickly with the rains, and since they have muddy bottoms for the most part, water clarity is a big factor. Some sharpies know how to fish high muddy water, but it can be challenging. On the other hand, if you hit it right, the fishing can be spectacular!

Heres the deal

Montauk just post Labor Day used to be a sure thing but since the bass population crashed its far from a lock. 

This past year there were god pods of bluefish but mainly it was a boat game. There were some albies but despite all the bait the albies didn’t get going until mid late September. There were bonito early but most guys were not targeting them.  

it was lights out great albie fishing through to vets Day. Almost all albies with a few bluefish here and there, and shots of bass on isolated days. Nothing like it used to be for the bass

I understand Cape was much better early Sept

the back bays on LI south shore have been good in the past with blues and bass coming in as the water cools to feed on juvenile fish getting ready to exit bay, but you need to know the access and those bays. 

You would be better off hiring a guide for that LI south shore stuff or even Montauk 

I can list LI guides if you want to go that route 

3 hours ago, smath said:

Right now is the time to fish the Great Lakes tribs for steelhead. I'm originally from Cleveland and I'm heading back there next week to fish those streams. The spring runs should be in full force right about now through early May. Check a site like Riverboss to follow the water levels. Timing is everything on those streams. They flood very quickly with the rains, and since they have muddy bottoms for the most part, water clarity is a big factor. Some sharpies know how to fish high muddy water, but it can be challenging. On the other hand, if you hit it right, the fishing can be spectacular!

yeah,I don't fish steel later'n Feb...I don't fish redds and pregnant fish don't fight so good and colored-up fish don't fight like fall fish,not to mention the crowds w/ spring,this year is exceptionally late,seen years in the past where it was done by this time but for droppies 

Great time to be around the elbow of the Cape- Bass, blues, albies and available to shorebound anglers.

outer cape that week is typically a great rec sized bft week.  if you want a real bucket list level thrill and you have the budget, consider booking a bft on spinning trip.

its also usually a good week outer cape for school stripers on the fly from shore.  like mentioned, they are around once tou find them ...:). also like mentioned (outer cape) not so many blues the past couple years (?).  typically tons of macs in close too that can be a lot of fun on lighter fly gear.  can be bonito around too but i never got one from shore - only off the boat.

Well, I got lucky and the boss said I could take October 1 - 7 instead. Should put me in the ballpark.....?