Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonefishdick

Sanibel Report 04-11-18

1 post in this topic

Things finally settled down and the wind decided to show a little mercy and witch to a much more favorable direction. It started NW in the morning and was blowing around 10 mph before in finally went straight N around 11 am an stayed somewhat brisk.  The temps were also a bit cooler than I expected but I like that. 

I was not sure were I wanted to start in the morning and just and finally made a snap decision and as it turn out a good one. Had the whole beach to myself. The water was already low and still dropping and reaching the sand off the beach was easy. I started at the top of the trough and the water being low made me move down about a 100 yards to reach some deeper water. I was still using my lead eye Chernobyl Schminnow.

I actually gor on the water earlier than I expected because this spot was the closest one to my condo. Sunrise was 7:10 am and my first fish was a nice fat Trout. It felt good to have a bend in the rod after 5 days of wind. I hate taking picture of fish with the flash so I decided to wait and hope I had better light and hopefully something to use it on.

One of the things I always do id after I strip the fly in is I drag the fly slowly up over the lip of the beach. It is a very effective tactic. Once again it worked and put my first Snook on he reel. The sun was still not up but now that sunrise was close the light was good enough for my first picture.

P1100337sol.JPG.8f4d33a8505cdf8ec9142f683434db01.JPG 

My second fish came about a half hour later and this was was on the edge of the sand bar, it hit just as I srtipped the fly of the bar in the trough. The hit was solid and three jmps later I slid him onto the beach.

P1100340sol.JPG.022c9417513abc3268054a8abc2e1ddd.JPG

The third Snook came 7 minutes later. I was liking my last minute decision on my choice of this spot.

P1100342sol.JPG.1617a101e993c6fc634265f794c887d3.JPG

My fourth fish of the morning was also of the bar and for a smaller fish it really slammed the fly hard. This fish was released without a picture.

The tide finally hit low and with it the flow went slack and for Snook slack water means no fish so I decided it was time for coffee and a scone and visit to Norm's couch.

I decided to lay low for the rest of the day and to hit the water again in the late afternoon. I wanted to try my morning spot but the resident parking lot for 4 cars was full so I decided on my 38" Snook spot and the first thing I noticed was how much it had changed in 5 days. The sand bar that was never there before was already 10 to 15 feet closer because o the strong on shore winds that shut the fishing down. I suspect this sand bar will be beach in less than a month.

I did hook one fish and after three jumps it was gone, that was my one and only fish encounter for the night.

Tomorrow morning will again be a last minute decision on where to go.