gdc23

GLISS Line questions

8 posts in this topic

What are the pros and cons for surfcasting for striped bass using Gliss line when casting for distance. Less likely to have wind knots ? Abrasion resistance ? Distance vs braided line ?

Any info is appreciated

Gliss has debatable reviews - suggest you look at aquaholic's postings 'Line Testing, etc.. on the Main Forum.

The mono I use on conventional reels is 14 or 15lb test for Suffix Neon Orange Siege or Neon Yellow Elite on my Penn 525 Mags, and 20lb test Momoi Hi-Catch in Neon Orange for my Shark reels (mono-magged ABU 7000C3CT and Diawa SL-X30SHA).  On my Crack 300 and Luxor 300 Spinners I use either 15lb test Berkley Big Game or 15lb test Stren Magna Thin.  Never get wind knots, and no trouble hitting 300+ feet with a clam or bunker chunk using a Hatteras Cast or Uni-Tech Cast (I use the latter when twisting into my prosthetic knee bothers me).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses, after reading the suggested post it seems Gliss may not be what Im looking for.

You got both a conventional & a spinner answers - surprised flatwing is still using CrAcks & LuXors, but it seems he's only using mono - Gliss is a "braid" & depending on what line strength, what knots & where yr fishing & for what yr fishing is a exemplary line. But as always cateavaet emptor & do yr due diligence.

PS: It's 2 for One for the next two weeks !!!  

Posted (edited)

frazerp:

I do use braid, but only on my VS's, Diawa LC and Shimano LC Spinners, as well as my plugging conventionals, which are mostly CS reels. I just don't like having to protect my thumb in order to lay line on my bait fishing conventionals. Even though I converted my Crack and Luxor 300's to use a Penn 706Z manual pickup line roller when I drilled out the flyer and spool and sealed the flyer, the vintage of the reels pre-dates braid by decades, so I figure better safe than sorry.  I pack these old-time spinners with Dow Corning 33 Extreme Low Temperature Synthetic Bearing Grease, and they are my end of the year surf plugging reels that never, unlike the VS's, stiffen up in the biting cold.  Attached a few pictures. 1st 3 are Crack 300, last 3 are Luxor 300.  Notice the line lay, which does not require "humping" the line while filling the spool. BTW, power handle knob is for a VS200/250, installed on the original arm, after it was tapped.

0808161923.jpg

0808161923a.jpg

0808161923b.jpg

0809161730.jpg

0809161730a.jpg

0809161731.jpg

Edited by FlatWing