What is your favorite all around kayak rod/reel combo and why

2 mins ago, deadxringer said:

Newer to the kayak fishing game. Looking for your input on rod/reel combos. I have a light casting combo and a bait rig.  Do any of you fish wire or lead core?  

7' Medium Heavy, sometimes you need to take charge of the fish. I prefer round or low-profile bait caster. 15-20lb braid with fluorocarbon leader, maybe 20-40 depending on fish. Shimano Trevala S Jigging Conventional Rod, with Daiwa LEXA300HSL-P Lexa High Capacity Baitcasting Reel. But, I would keep it around 7' and your choice of what you like. Lot of guys use the Ugly Stix.

2014 Hobie Outback
2015 Native Slayer Propel 10'

Member of Yellow Eyed Devils

38 mins ago, Bravo06 said:

7' Medium Heavy, sometimes you need to take charge of the fish. I prefer round or low-profile bait caster. 15-20lb braid with fluorocarbon leader, maybe 20-40 depending on fish. Shimano Trevala S Jigging Conventional Rod, with Daiwa LEXA300HSL-P Lexa High Capacity Baitcasting Reel. But, I would keep it around 7' and your choice of what you like. Lot of guys use the Ugly Stix.

I work in a tackle shop and we carry a couple of the Star rod lines. I've had my eye on the Star Seagis and Plasma lines.  

11 mins ago, deadxringer said:

I work in a tackle shop and we carry a couple of the Star rod lines. I've had my eye on the Star Seagis and Plasma lines.  

Yes. I have two of them and they are great rods.

2014 Hobie Outback
2015 Native Slayer Propel 10'

Member of Yellow Eyed Devils

1 hour ago, Bravo06 said:

Shimano Trevala S Jigging Conventional Rod

That Trevala S is my favorite all around rod in the northeast, esp the ML. Will do the job for just about anything and everything...only thing is the length, it's a bit short for clearing the bow if you have a longer yak.

If I ever surf launch my board it'll be 2 Trevala S' strapped to the deck, and a Lexa/Tranx in my dry bag. Short rods are easy to rig up on the water :) 

Favorite rods for me would be the medium heavy, fast action st croix avid inshores. Last year i used a 7' avid inshore. Brand new setup that im loving this year so far is the shorter 6'6" avid paired with a VR50. Very lightweight setup. Definitely one of the greater setups ive invested in.

Edited by Boosted_

I use 7 foot rods in  my yak. Been using salt striker rods because they are light, have great action and a lifetime warranty. Have st croix and tica rods but they are heavy for a full day of fishing if your casting or jogging alot.

The st croix mojo is a nice and relatively light rod as well. I just prefer the salt strikers at the moment. 

Reels is up to you. Trolling I use baitbaster with power handle and 3000 spinning for snagging bunker.

This season I'll use 1 baitcaster to an acid rod, 1 conventional to a heavy action, and a spinning setup medium action.