Limited Slip For Wrangler

Reed422

For beach only, don't need it.

You want to go rock crawling where tires might be off the ground, yea, it might be handy, but for East Coast beachin, it is overkill IMHO.

Air down, and keep your momentum up, and you will be fine.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

Agreed. Our '98 Grand Cherokee has open diffs and it is great on the beach as long as you air down (like 12-10 psi).

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 Selectrac

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC Cobra

If you're going to go that route, get a locker.

Limited slip will still go into full slip.  It won't help you get unstuck in the event you do.  

Get a front locker if you ever plan on driving in the snow at any real speed.  Auto locker rear diffs tend to like to toss you all over the road in the snow.  

Edited by Captain Planet

3 hours ago, Captain Planet said:

If you're going to go that route, get a locker.

Limited slip will still go into full slip.  It won't help you get unstuck in the event you do.  

Get a front locker if you ever plan on driving in the snow at any real speed.  Auto locker rear diffs tend to like to toss you all over the road in the snow.  

How much does this tend to cost?

1 min ago, Reed422 said:

How much does this tend to cost?

Depends.  

Controllable air/electric lockers are expensive.  I know the new Rubicons have electric lockers.  Might be an option for lesser models.  

Auto lockers, lunchbox lockers, are way less expensive, but they automatically engage.  

Last time I looked for my XJ, they were a couple hundred bucks if you do the work yourself.  The rear is substantially easier.  Front you have to take the knuckles apart to get the axles out.  

Don't waste your money for the beach, not necessary. Newer jeeps have traction control which works fine if set in the proper mode for beach driving. Also great for other off road use when set correctly. Remember to air down, biggest mistake people make is not airing down.

16 mins ago, Reed422 said:

you don't think a regular car wash is enough?

Should be fine! just make sure you get the under carriage good. Sand and Salt is remarkably hard to remove from the small pockets and ledges on your frame. 

3 mins ago, MarkyGee said:

Should be fine! just make sure you get the under carriage good. Sand and Salt is remarkably hard to remove from the small pockets and ledges on your frame. 

Does it have to be done right away or is waiting a day OK?

38 mins ago, Reed422 said:

Does it have to be done right away or is waiting a day OK?

Check your frame for any rust spots, especially along frame joints, suspension brackets etc. If you have any visible rust, hit with a coat of undercoating from a spray can. Watch for splash.

Once you've got it all under control, and prepped, you go a day or two in between. I know it sounds like overkill, but my 2004 Wrangler was swiss cheese after a season or two of beach driving and neglect. Granted, it probably had issues before that but the sand and salt sped the degrading up.