Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

Smelt dipping

8 posts in this topic

Never saw it like that, best I ever saw was 20 in my net in a dip. Now that zone 1 is closed for saltwater dipping and likely won’t open in the coming years. I am glad I got the chance to do it. 

Posted (edited)

I’ve seen that video, there’s some spots in Maine that run during the day but most fw smelting is done at night with a lantern and Allen’s coffee brandy. :) 

Edited by Sea Of Atlas

17 hours ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

I’ve seen that video, there’s some spots in Maine that run during the day but most fw smelting is done at night with a lantern and Allen’s coffee brandy. :) 

We have a pot near me where you have to take at least three guys- one dip fills up three quarts.

Posted (edited)

Nice! A sure sign of spring! Do you sew those up for salmon? 

Edited by Sea Of Atlas

That is unreal. I’ve never seen anything like that in Maine. Even at night. And certainly not that sized smelt. 

I have seen it foolish as well. Was dipping a culvert one night, was catching other fish chasing the smelt.  Dipped  a trout and a pickerel chasing smelt

I did dip a small lake trout one night chasing smelt.

I miss those days.  Driving from brook to brook.  Shining a light looking to see if that particular spot was "running".

That was before everyone had cell phones.  Now the few ponds running are probably mob scenes.