hipkvw

Shooting Head Frustration!!! Question....

124 posts in this topic

Rio makes a line I use called the Switch Chucker. It's a short head front weighted line with an integrated running line. They have it in weights from 225 gr to 570 gr.

I put them in sale forum $45 shipped. Type 6 snd Int. Running line with it but two spots damaged. 

2 hours ago, hipkvw said:

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to sell these lines and buy regular lines. I just dont really like the whole deal. 

I am in agreement with you decision since I made the same choice a long time ago although I didn't sell mine, I think a took a certain amount of joy putting them in the trash because of all the aggravation they caused me. 

I will say this much, the amount of things available to make shooting was limited back when I did it, There is a lot more available to work with today but I just won't to go through the hassle to find what works for me at this stage of the game in my fishing career.

6 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

I am in agreement with you decision since I made the same choice a long time ago although I didn't sell mine, I think a took a certain amount of joy putting them in the trash because of all the aggravation they caused me. 

I will say this much, the amount of things available to make shooting was limited back when I did it, There is a lot more available to work with today but I just won't to go through the hassle to find what works for me at this stage of the game in my fishing career.

Yeah. Ill stick with what works for me with zero issues. 

I think mistake to sell them so soon. At least try the Big Game mono is like 5.00 a spool only need 70 feet. Tie it to the shooting head with a clinch knot. Stretch it and remove twist when it builds up. Will at least give you a chance to test the head with something more forgiving than the technical shooting head someone sold you.  

Also, I saw someone a week ago who had exact same issue. Fresh out of the box shooting head, never used one before, and had very thin shooting line. He got the nightmarish tangles too! Didn't know anything about line twist either. I saw him untangle his line and start casting again, only to get a new horrible tangle within a few casts. 

It's a running line problem, not a shooting head problem. You can solve it.   

I think some of the tackle shops need to take note of this issue and educate their customers better as to proper precautions for this uber thing technical shooting line that is leading to discouraged and unhappy customers! 

I just wonder what the point of this thread was if the op had no intention of listening to anyone.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, bonefishdick said:

I know many are fans of using shooting heads but like anything else there what works for some doesn't work for others. I tried building some many years ago but was never satisfied and I found the level of frustration of using them not to be worth the aggravation for the amount of time I used them. Back then I did more boat fishing than I do now. 

I finally went from building my own to doing a search for a long sink tip with a built in integrated running line and I have settled on the Rio In Touch 30' DC Striper Sink Tip, this line works great and hardler ever if ever tangles and loads and casts great. They are up there in price now, $100  but for as long as they last me now I would still spend the money if I had to.

I'm with BFD on this one... never had a tangle prob with the RIO In Touch. They're pretty much all we use on the boat. 

Edited by BillHassan
spelling

I've never tried shooting heads but I get enough tangles with regular fly line in my surf basket. One thing I do that helps: put a small swivel at the end of the fly line or between leader and tippet. This helps with line twist and thus helps to minimize tangles. 

And to the original poster... Rio lines are the gold standard, and they seem to be everywhere you turn these days. But I've had them crack prematurely, and I'm not alone. I believe that Airflo makes a more durable product that lasts longer in the rough conditions of salt and surf. If you search this forum you will find many similar stories. Just my two cents, YMMV.

3 hours ago, Local66 said:

I just wonder what the point of this thread was if the op had no intention of listening to anyone.

I saw other’s opinions and made a decision. It wasnt just the twist of the running line. I didnt like the connections zipping through the guides in and out. After seeing others opinions on other options that still had issues...I decided to go with regular lines again. Not sure what your point is?

3 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

I think mistake to sell them so soon. At least try the Big Game mono is like 5.00 a spool only need 70 feet. Tie it to the shooting head with a clinch knot. Stretch it and remove twist when it builds up. Will at least give you a chance to test the head with something more forgiving than the technical shooting head someone sold you.  

Also, I saw someone a week ago who had exact same issue. Fresh out of the box shooting head, never used one before, and had very thin shooting line. He got the nightmarish tangles too! Didn't know anything about line twist either. I saw him untangle his line and start casting again, only to get a new horrible tangle within a few casts. 

It's a running line problem, not a shooting head problem. You can solve it.   

I think some of the tackle shops need to take note of this issue and educate their customers better as to proper precautions for this uber thing technical shooting line that is leading to discouraged and unhappy customers! 

It wasnt just the tangles, which were annoying, it is also the connection bumping in and out if my guides. Just not very smooth. Appreciate everyones feedback. 

10 mins ago, hipkvw said:

It wasnt just the tangles, which were annoying, it is also the connection bumping in and out if my guides. Just not very smooth. Appreciate everyones feedback. 

lets get one thing straight here I'm novice , I really like the Rio line & shoots well  ( also really like Orvis All Rounder ) , I have not had tangle issues at all but I do not like the connection bumping thru the guides ( i was casting this evening ) just like you said , i'm thinking of just cut the welded loops & nail knot the head & line .  Maybe submerge the loops in warm water to straighten them out but it was the same thing on warm days also , snippers in hand as we speak !    

14 mins ago, Hook I said:

lets get one thing straight here I'm novice , I really like the Rio line & shoots well  ( also really like Orvis All Rounder ) , I have not had tangle issues at all but I do not like the connection bumping thru the guides ( i was casting this evening ) just like you said , i'm thinking of just cut the welded loops & nail knot the head & line .  Maybe submerge the loops in warm water to straighten them out but it was the same thing on warm days also , snippers in hand as we speak !    

Some people have tangles. Some dont. I dont know. I stretched it and stretched it and still had problems. I had A LOT of line out as I was making long cast because we were blind casting a large area. It was just a massive pile of coils. The running line was so damn thin when it did tangle it was a nightmare. Instead of splicing lines I am just going with a regular full length line. After I posted this I did search the net and found a ton of complaints similar to my own. Just decided im not going to try to experiment...just go back to what works. I appreciate everyones opinion. Thats all I was looking for....others thoughts. 

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, hipkvw said:

HipK, That can really be a big problem--the connection bumping through the guides. But there is a solution for this. One thing the fly shop people tend to do is tie a giant double surgeon loop in the running line (like 8-12" long) and then they connect this to the shooting head. That's a terrible approach on two counts:

1) double surgeon will bump and knock on the rod guides

2) the giant loop means you will have a lot more shooting line outside the rod tip when casting, which leads to the shooting head swinging around wildly and being hard to false cast. 

The solution is simple. Give up the idea of being able to switch out your shooting heads using the giant loop. And start using a clinch knot to attach to the head. You probably need to put a braided mono loop on the head, cutting off the molded loop, which is not that good anyways. Tighten the clinch knot carefully using pliers and then trim the knot close. Test it thoroughly.  When switching heads, just cut off one and tie on another.

If you really want to use a loop knot then use a bimini twist with a loop that's as small as you can make it. But the clinch knot is better imho. And both are much better than the double surgeon's. 

A double surgeon's knot in backing nylon, for example, is really dangerous as it can catch on the guides and braek off on a big'un!

I can't remember if you said, but what was the loop connection formed with on your shooting line? 

Edited by Otshawytsha

Oh and another thing, use a braided dacron loop, very small, on the shooting line end of the shooting had. I don't know if your shooting had has it's own molded loop. If it's bigger and nastir than a dacron loop, cut it off. 

You attach the braided dacron loop with a nail knot with like 10lb mono. Check *********.com for an instructional. 

3 hours ago, hipkvw said:

I saw other’s opinions and made a decision. It wasnt just the twist of the running line. I didnt like the connections zipping through the guides in and out. After seeing others opinions on other options that still had issues...I decided to go with regular lines again. Not sure what your point is?

The connection between the shooting head and shooting line should be outside the rod tip when you shoot the head tho. And it should also be easily cast out the guides when you begin to cast, as well as outside when you hauling to shoot the line.