hipkvw

Shooting Head Frustration!!! Question....

128 posts in this topic

This is on a 10wt set up. I have Rio Outbound Heads(INT. and Sink) and a shooting line that it so thin it keeps knotting BAD when I have a lot out for my cast. It drove me insane and I actually tore the casing untangling it as one point. I forget the size of the shooting line but it is what RIO recommended. Are there other options? Can I use an 8wt floating line instead? Is there thicker shooting lines that dont tangle as easily? I want to see what you guys do before I scrap this whole setup and buy regular lines. I HATE when the connection blast through the eyes and when I retrieve it through the eyes. Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks

I've found that the interchangable heads can be a real pain. I now use regular single piece lines. It costs considerably more to purchase two spare spools, backing and three lines (floating,intermediate and sink). However I have found it to be easier in the long run. Less frustration with tangles .

1 min ago, Mainiac said:

I've found that the interchangable heads can be a real pain. I now use regular single piece lines. It costs considerably more to purchase two spare spools, backing and three lines (floating,intermediate and sink). However I have found it to be easier in the long run. Less frustration with tangles .

OK. Im glad Im not the only one thinking the same. 

Also a thought, is your running line a Rio InTouch by chance? Rio's 'InTouch' core is incredibly prone to tangling in the stripping basket or in any sort of close coils/pile. I have found it to be the case on multiple InTouch lines

1 min ago, capefish4231 said:

Also a thought, is your running line a Rio InTouch by chance? Rio's 'InTouch' core is incredibly prone to tangling in the stripping basket or in any sort of close coils/pile. I have found it to be the case on multiple InTouch lines

Not sure...it is a Rio line. It has a mono core(I could see it where I tore the casing...I went at it like a maniac...was getting frustrated) and the memory was ridiculous and there was a pile of coils that would be a major birds nest on some cast.

Most of my fishing is done with shooting heads, the exact same ones you're using in fact. Braided mono is my preference. Airflo and SA both make a really nice braided mono running line, and you can splice your head directly to the running line if you aren't swapping out heads constantly. It'll still tangle occasionally, especially if you're an "enthusiastic" caster. It helps if you just take a deep breath and let the line do all the work.

I went through the EXACT same thing with a Rio sinker a few years ago.  Wanted to pull my hair out.  Shooting head was great but the running line coiled like it was it's job.  Ended up cutting off the head and splicing it to an Airflo floating running line.  Much less stressful now!  I made a special pyre in my back yard to burn that Rio running line.

I have tried many different shooting lines but always go back to Sawada Flat Beam Intermediate 35lbs. It is very stiff and needs to be wetted few hours and then stretched hard just befire fishing but it shoots very well and tangles very little.

Esa

I know many are fans of using shooting heads but like anything else there what works for some doesn't work for others. I tried building some many years ago but was never satisfied and I found the level of frustration of using them not to be worth the aggravation for the amount of time I used them. Back then I did more boat fishing than I do now. 

I finally went from building my own to doing a search for a long sink tip with a built in integrated running line and I have settled on the Rio In Touch 30' DC Striper Sink Tip, this line works great and hardler ever if ever tangles and loads and casts great. They are up there in price now, $100  but for as long as they last me now I would still spend the money if I had to.

I use the Airflo braided mono, it's OK. It does tangle sometimes and when it does it's a beauty, but only once or so an hour. When it does tangle you have to be a little carefully untangling it or it develops kinks. I can't say for sure they impact casting but I don't like them when they happen...

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to sell these lines and buy regular lines. I just dont really like the whole deal. 

Posted (edited)

1) Are you diligently removing line twist as you fish? With a shooting head you get a lot of line twist transferred to the running line as you cast the head, and if you don't remove it constantly it leads to tangles. When I feel my line getting twisty I'll cast out all the line I have already taken off the reel and do 20 or so quick rotations of the rod counter clockwise (looking from butt toward the tip) using the flipping technique. Piece of cake and no tears.  

2) Are you stretching the line before each outing? Have to stretch a mono line just like you would stretch out a new leader to remove memory

3) You can always use #30 Big Game mono as cheap running line with a decent diameter. It does tangle pretty easily but it's also easy to untangle, forgiving that way. It doesn't lie down flat on itself and you do need something in your stripping basket that will keep the coils separated like zip ties sticking up or something. But it at least works. I find it is a nice diameter for line hand.   

Edited by Otshawytsha

16 mins ago, hipkvw said:

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to sell these lines and buy regular lines. I just dont really like the whole deal. 

You mean quitting shooting heads?

Don't strip more off the reel than you want to shoot.

Berkley Big Game 40# solar collector works well and you get miles of it for short money.  If you don't want to go the mono route, the SGS Elf running line is the best I've used (Meiser fly rod site)

27 mins ago, Squish said:

Don't strip more off the reel than you want to shoot.

I think reason for this is that if you cast the line all the way to the reel the twist will be distributed throughout the line, better, to a degree. If you have some loose line that doesn't get casted the twist will tend to build up right there and can lead to tangles. 

But maybe it's thee case that casting the line all the way to the reel actually helps untwist line?