Bfishes333

710z manual pickup Help

25 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, Mojoe said:

Yes the kit for the 704 is still being produced. From what I gathered, there was at one time a kit being produced for the 710 but was discontinued. Someone realized that the Mitchell 306/406 could be altered and fitted to the 710, and that is the one that you and I both have. I thought about cutting the bail, because I saw a lot of guys went in that direction. But I decided to give this a try first. And yes, many of the threads on this are older, but they still apply. There are many knowledgeable members on this site regarding this subject (to which I do not include myself). It’s a big advantage to you and I that many of these members have already done what we’re looking to do, so it helps us avoid the mistakes they made and that they posted the correct path to take. Keep us posted.

Absolutely, this site has kept me from stepping on my tail quite a few times. Plenty of knowledge on here. If you are able or come across a thread for this specific need I would appreciate it. 

Sorry to hijack this tread, but is there a place to just purchase the line roller in these photos for the 710z? I made my 710z manual last year by adding a lock washer to the bail trip screw in the open position and just cutting the bail wire. I don't like the small line roller though and want to replace it with something larger. 

5 mins ago, Joe D. said:

Sorry to hijack this tread, but is there a place to just purchase the line roller in these photos for the 710z? I made my 710z manual last year by adding a lock washer to the bail trip screw in the open position and just cutting the bail wire. I don't like the small line roller though and want to replace it with something larger. 

The fisher-man . com or he has them on fleabay as well just put 710z manual pickup

Put some line on it and tested it out in the yard. It is working perfect. Thank you to everyone who helped. 

53 mins ago, Bfishes333 said:

Put some line on it and tested it out in the yard. It is working perfect. Thank you to everyone who helped. 

Nice! Happy to hear it all worked out. Did the reel balance well with just putting the existing nut back on?

12 mins ago, Mojoe said:

Nice! Happy to hear it all worked out. Did the reel balance well with just putting the existing nut back on?

Thanks man. I didn't put the nut back on because it has a hole anyways so wouldn't really do anything and I would have to cut the bail to get the nut off. I wanted to keep the bail whole incase I don't like and want to resell or ever want to put back on. 

It looks like you figured it out. For future reference I posted this a long time ago. 

On 4/10/2018 at 8:18 PM, Bfishes333 said:

Thanks man. I didn't put the nut back on because it has a hole anyways so wouldn't really do anything and I would have to cut the bail to get the nut off. I wanted to keep the bail whole incase I don't like and want to resell or ever want to put back on. 

The nut is often used as a counter weight. For some reason i've found sometimes it's needed sometimes its not. Sort of like added snap on weights while balancing tires on a car.

There are a few ways to make a 710 bailess. I'm glad it worked out for you.

40 something years ago I cut the bail on  a 710 off with a hacksaw. I filed the knub smooth and the polished it with Emery cloth. For balance I put the screw on the other side back on. It has worked great all this time. I have been blessed with the ability not to overthink things. The other mod I made was to replace the plastic spool with an anodized one.