foxfai

Water temps..... a long way to go

38 posts in this topic

33 mins ago, jason colby said:

Very cool, thank you!

You put it on a lead head or in-weighted?

I ask because I have a spot for September that is very shallow and if those things work un-weighted (and, if they have a bigger size), we could be onto something! 

I use a 3/8 or 1/2oz ('rounded bullet-style'?) jighead with the 4.5 & 5.5" but yes, you can fish them without weight too.

This is a honestly a complete guess here--but i think unweighted might run best in areas with little current? or, if current, then maybe casting upcurrent and fishing it down. My concern for going unweighted is when you're swinging it crosscurrent, where maybe the bait rolls over a lot and doesn't track through water normally. 

As you can see from the video, they do look nice on a slow and steady retrieve.

Yes, they are available in larger sizes. Range is like 3.5-7.5" I think. But I've never seen any of the bigger stuff in stores (Or used them for that matter) so you would have to poke around online to find a vendor.

10 mins ago, rst3 said:

I use a 3/8 or 1/2oz ('rounded bullet-style'?) jighead with the 4.5 & 5.5" but yes, you can fish them without weight too.

This is a honestly a complete guess here--but i think unweighted might run best in areas with little current? or, if current, then maybe casting upcurrent and fishing it down. My concern for going unweighted is when you're swinging it crosscurrent, where maybe the bait rolls over a lot and doesn't track through water normally. 

As you can see from the video, they do look nice on a slow and steady retrieve.

Yes, they are available in larger sizes. Range is like 3.5-7.5" I think. But I've never seen any of the bigger stuff in stores (Or used them for that matter) so you would have to poke around online to find a vendor.

Holy crap! What fish wouldn't eat that???

I gotta get me some!

We use Fat Swing Impacts over here quite a bit. They cast miles unweighted and fish properly unweighted to. I have caught on them but they didn't set my fishing on fire. 

Posted (edited)

recently picked up some of those keitechs (the 4.5"). snip a small piece off the head and they fit perfectly on the canal B&T one ounce jighead.

Edited by HugeDinghy

Got a call from my mechanic and my boat is ready to go. This week doesn’t look great but might make the shakedown cruise next Saturday. Might go out of Plymouth for flounder. Hopefully the water warms a bit and gets them biting. 

14 mins ago, BillyBallGame said:

Got a call from my mechanic and my boat is ready to go. This week doesn’t look great but might make the shakedown cruise next Saturday. Might go out of Plymouth for flounder. Hopefully the water warms a bit and gets them biting. 

Good luck.  Let us know how you make out with the flounder.

We're still a  good 6-7 degrees off the yearly averages.. I wonder if fish are somewhat like plants and will start showing up based on the amount of sunlight per day vs strictly water temp.. who knows

1 hour ago, danda74 said:

We're still a  good 6-7 degrees off the yearly averages.. I wonder if fish are somewhat like plants and will start showing up based on the amount of sunlight per day vs strictly water temp.. who knows

This is exactly what I am wondering. To me driving 90 miles each way isn't fun.... and to get skunked to boot ......

But, if we don't try, we won't know right?

IIRC one year was exactly the same, water temp never went up to par, but we had a 70 degree windless day. Nothin' was sniffing.

Water temps in the ponds by me are noticeably warmer than they were last week. Huge midge hatches happening past few days. Last night, they had the sunfish and perch going nuts in the pond by my house. Threw out a midge fly and hooked up with a little bluegill. On the way in, a monster pickerel batted the fish into the air almost right at my feet. He then proceeded to play around with the sunfish before ultimately moving back into deeper water. (Bluegill wasn't doing well after that). 

So, pond life is getting very active. Good news!

A little bird told me that there is no sign of life out there. Only the usual few striper holdovers at the popular spots. Water still a few degree off of where we should. 

And the wait begins!

Edited by foxfai

I know you're the probably the last person I need to tell, but keep tryin' (I know I will). This may be one of these years where it goes from spotty to full throttle in a matter of days.