foxfai

Water temps..... a long way to go

59 posts in this topic

I was just on the sites checking tides , temps etc to prepare for month end trips. Holy crap, it's still sitting at 40 degrees. Far beyond the 45-ish that we would normal get around this time previous years.

I need RT3 put up some good upflow of warm water charts from the south to energize this fishing season.

We need a week of warm temps to bring up the present one . This unusual cold weather may delay the start of the year with Squid and for me the beginning point of the new fishing season here on the cape. The squid boats on a line dragging for squid is usually a good sign in the Vineyard. It should not be long however.

Once the wind shifts Southerly pattern with the afternoon E or SE blow for a few hours?  Everything will be fine.

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Once the wind shifts Southerly pattern with the afternoon E or SE blow for a few hours?  Everything will be fine.

That quick?

On 4/11/2018 at 9:08 PM, foxfai said:

That quick?

Yup, warmer water isn't that far away...even when the season kicks in, wind direction from the right or wrong direction can kill or kick start a day, especially early in the season where a wind direction from the wrong direction can push in colder water, and cause a pause in the bite

Decided to take advantage of the 2day warmup and see if I could find the front line of tiny bass migrating eastward through Long Island Sound.

Short answer is: no. Couldn't find any new fish. Though one of the guys I spoke with said they were in Rye.

Conditions south of Mass

RI/Narragansett Bay/BIS: still cold AF. I'd bet the cold and crappy April weather set back the usual mid-month arrivals by a week. Just inside the bay, Newport is averaging 42 this week.

5ad3661ec2fec_plot_met(6).png.b5f1c955f00edde2446efc3cddf24d61.png

2) Further west, into Long Island Sound

The sound is generally running about 45. In western LIS, temps briefly spiked to 50 late afternoon yesterday.

5ad3662873f17_plot_met(8).png.0a0caa85d7abe8b238396b7b8aa9e095.png

At the edge of the large and very shallow coastal marsh/estuary system I was fishing yesterday afternoon, it was draining at 53 on the ebb. At least according to one guy's thermometer. A dozen other fishermen and I figured the little guys would've moved just a bit eastward during the 2 day warmup and infiltrated this typical early season coastal CT spot. Nope. Not a rat or a nip to be had.

So the spring migration is getting off to a retarded start. My guess is the first dinks of '18 prob end up a week-ish slower than average this year. Which would put 1st of them into RI late this week/next wknd. And on to traditional early parts of the cape in 10-14days.

While it's nice to grab a few of the first bass to move along the New England coastline, far better fish and overall fishing remains with holdovers. Hit one spot I like during my travels overnight Fri. Plenty of holding fish still to be had. No reason for them to go anywhere else at the moment: More food and comfier temps.

3/4 were 18-24"; a quarter ran 28-32".

20180415_102635.jpg.55c666a7f4e59ff8b38b43f5d900af1b.jpg20180415_102911.jpg.bfcdb5271e8efa37ea75e8022d726679.jpg

9 mins ago, shark lobster said:

The fish are out there holdovers have been on the move this past week no new fish yet but wont be long

Question: are these winter fish actually moving along the coast yet, or are they still just poking out into ocean waters near/next to their winter homes?

Im not too familiar with the cape holdover scene, but I have seen fish in Rhode Island move out front temporarily, both at the beginning of winter and also in very early spring. 

With my area that is not cape cod it is back bays and estuarys ! As soon as i saw the shore birds show up a week or so ago i knew there was bait and it was time.

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

Decided to take advantage of the 2day warmup and see if I could find the front line of tiny bass migrating eastward through Long Island Sound.

Short answer is: no. Couldn't find any new fish. Though one of the guys I spoke with said they were in Rye.

Conditions south of Mass

RI/Narragansett Bay/BIS: still cold AF. I'd bet the cold and crappy April weather set back the usual mid-month arrivals by a week. Just inside the bay, Newport is averaging 42 this week.

5ad3661ec2fec_plot_met(6).png.b5f1c955f00edde2446efc3cddf24d61.png

2) Further west, into Long Island Sound

The sound is generally running about 45. In western LIS, temps briefly spiked to 50 late afternoon yesterday.

5ad3662873f17_plot_met(8).png.0a0caa85d7abe8b238396b7b8aa9e095.png

At the edge of the large and very shallow coastal marsh/estuary system I was fishing yesterday afternoon, it was draining at 53 on the ebb. At least according to one guy's thermometer. A dozen other fishermen and I figured the little guys would've moved just a bit eastward during the 2 day warmup and infiltrated this typical early season coastal CT spot. Nope. Not a rat or a nip to be had.

So the spring migration is getting off to a retarded start. My guess is the first dinks of '18 prob end up a week-ish slower than average this year. Which would put 1st of them into RI late this week/next wknd. And on to traditional early parts of the cape in 10-14days.

While it's nice to grab a few of the first bass to move along the New England coastline, far better fish and overall fishing remains with holdovers. Hit one spot I like during my travels overnight Fri. Plenty of holding fish still to be had. No reason for them to go anywhere else at the moment: More food and comfier temps.

3/4 were 18-24"; a quarter ran 28-32".

20180415_102635.jpg.55c666a7f4e59ff8b38b43f5d900af1b.jpg20180415_102911.jpg.bfcdb5271e8efa37ea75e8022d726679.jpg

Nice report-Thank you!

WHAT is in the first bass pictured mouth? It looks a bit like a too fat pipefish curling up....JC

52 mins ago, jason colby said:

Nice report-Thank you!

WHAT is in the first bass pictured mouth? It looks a bit like a too fat pipefish curling up....JC

Jason u flounder fishing yet?

1 min ago, robc22 said:

Jason u flounder fishing yet?

I wish! The boat isn't ready and I'm at the mercy of my mechanic. he is like a deer in the headlights as every time the sun shines he gets a hundred calls from people who want their boats to get ready.

On the plus side, my boat was the "last in" at his yard and I'm blocking everyone else so he has to get mine out first...

I figure another week or so to the first flounder excursion.. Gonna also give the haddock a go if the seas are flat.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, jason colby said:

Nice report-Thank you!

Keitech 'Fat' swing impact, 5.5". Color: electric shad or something like that.

Screenshot_20180415-184209.jpg.250c227bd76044ca82eb8c692fe07aa0.jpg

They make a pretty good bait. A little softer, floppier design and material that works better at this spot, because I generally have to add a pop or double pop to retrieve to draw the strikes. Just running a straight retrieve here doesn't work nearly as well 

Edited by rst3

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, rst3 said:

Keitech 'Fat' swing impact, 5.5". Color: electric shad or something like that.

Screenshot_20180415-184209.jpg.250c227bd76044ca82eb8c692fe07aa0.jpg

They make a pretty good bait. A little softer, floppier design and material that works better at this spot, because I generally have to add a pop or double pop to retrieve to draw the strikes. Just running a straight retrieve here doesn't work nearly as well 

Very cool, thank you!

You put it on a lead head or in-weighted?

I ask because I have a spot for September that is very shallow and if those things work un-weighted (and, if they have a bigger size), we could be onto something! 

Edited by jason colby