Zobi1

Stripers in the Hudson

10 posts in this topic

Anyone FF for stripers in the Hudson during their run up?  The water seems too discolored for a Clouser to be effective. My typical experience is in RH fishing the salt ponds at sunrise with a sand eel pattern. 

Would love to hear from any locals.

Yes, I know there are several people that do.  I personally have had luck with chartreuse over white clousers.  If the water is discolored where you are fishing, try a darker fly. 

Posted (edited)

I've tried it twice right around first of May, last year, with no luck. A good river enters in the Athens area, can't say more than that,  FF'ing in that area was doable, but difficult (relatively a novice) . I remember both times wishing I had a boat. Talking to others in the area, many are successful in the mid hudson.

Just remember to handle any fish caught gentally, spawning time.

Edited by JoeSWFF

25 mins ago, JoeSWFF said:

I've tried it twice right around first of May, last year, with no luck. A good river enters in the Athens area, can't say more than that,  FF'ing in that area was doable, but difficult (relatively a novice) . I remember both times wishing I had a boat. Talking to others in the area, many are successful in the mid hudson.

Just remember to handle any fish caught gentally, spawning time.

thanks for suggestions.

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Fishin Technician said:

Pass on this river, it's all fished out !

FT

But always a joy to take a lunch and watch all the casters and boats down river from the Troy dam. Its like watching fishers on a salmon river at times shoulder to shoulder.

Edited by JoeSWFF

I've tried the southern end of the Hudson a few times and never came up with a tap or seen a fish. Certainly due to the Indian and not the arrow, I would think

The southern end was killed off by dredging and redistribution of PCB's.............netting killed too many baitfish. The river is not like it was in the 90's. Back then not many knew about stripers.

FT

Posted (edited)

I know a few good fisherman who would swear that the Hudson is the greatest Striper fishery on the East Coast. I've fished it a bunch but really never got comfortable there and I certainly didn't have enough success to keep going back. Every year I think about going back and trying something new and every year I find some reason not to. Ah, one of these days  I'll return. And maybe I'll even have one of those 100 striper days I've had people tell me about.

Edited by valentine