flyfishvt

Cape Cod parking

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

On 4/13/2018 at 9:37 AM, cgg said:

Getting out to the east is a real problem from either Ryders or Outermost right now just because of shoaling and sand bars etc. And getting from Oyster River —the Barn Hill Rd ramp—and Stage Harbor to the east is very much in doubt also because of shoaling around the south side of Morris Is. I figure on using Saquatucket and having to go around Monomoy to get east this season.

As an aside—I thought the Chatham waterways permit did away with the daily permit for Ryders? But, of course, you still have to park on the road... Screw Chatham.

I did a little recon yesterday; talked to some people at Outermost and the Refuge. Both said you *might* be able to get from Stage around Morris at high tide, though neither of them had actually tried it yet. Doesn't sound very promising. Things changed alot over the winter.

Chatham didn't used to be as strict as they are now. Years past, I used to park all over and not worry about it. Usually between dusk and dawn though.

I think you're right that the waterways permit covers Ryders too.

Edited by patchyfog

Posted (edited)

On 4/13/2018 at 8:37 AM, RJ said:

That's why I am leaving my dory on the NJ Shore.  The Oyster launch at BHR and Ryders were my spots with boats for 20 years. 

Any pictures of the sand shift between Chatham Harbor and Morris Island?

RJ,

Like Patchy, the wife and I did a little exploring last weekend.     A lot of sand movement and erosion.  Doesn't look like much left to South Beach. 

3 videos from the preserve.       Lots more sand on the beach covering the gravelly areas.   Sand is harder and easier to walk on than last year.    Mussel beds at the Stage outlet are partially covered now.   Gulls were having a field day.

HT

https://youtu.be/MDeUfa30yV8

https://youtu.be/otlWPnAflqA

https://youtu.be/g9yZw3BhN4A

Edited by HillTop

Thanks Hilltop. Very interesting. Its a pity that deep channel by Stage harbour has gone and that stoney/oyster ground looks like it has been buried.  

Posted (edited)

It really is a shame that for someone who really doesn't know the Cape (me), wants to wet a fly a couple times a year, locals, not all, make it tough to do that. 

Guess that's why I once again bought  my buggy permit at IBSP in Jersey, I always know what to expect down there.

A small side rant, It sometimes seems, States always want your recreation money and then do not want you to recreate, or at least make it hard..

Edited by JoeSWFF