flyfishvt

Cape Cod parking

34 posts in this topic

Headed down for the annual pilgrimage for the week of Memorial Day.  Usually we go down a bit earlier and don't have problems with parking.

Won't have any parking stickers.  Think the parking restrictions will still be pretty lax (e.g. unenforced) during this week?  Any places to avoid?

Thanks!

6 mins ago, flyfishvt said:

Headed down for the annual pilgrimage for the week of Memorial Day.  Usually we go down a bit earlier and don't have problems with parking.

Won't have any parking stickers.  Think the parking restrictions will still be pretty lax (e.g. unenforced) during this week?  Any places to avoid?

Thanks!

find the local maps that show "town landings"

Sandflee,

We usually park at the landings but just about every one has a sign that says a parking permit is required.  When we've been there in May or October, the permit requirement is just unenforced, so we're able to park most places without getting a ticket.

I'm curious if this is true during the week of Memorial Day as well.

Thanks..

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, flyfishvt said:

Thanks!

Wife and I spent this weekend there for our 31st and of course I had to do a little recon for the end of May.   

Most all public lots say resident sticker required from June 1st to Sept 15th.  Think I saw one that said from June 15th.   For the few lots that allow out of town access for a charge, if they don't chain the entrance (new silver beach), you can get in earlier, ie dawn, and avoid paying.    Your mileage may vary.

If you state what town you are staying in maybe folks will PM you with spots you can park without worry, there are some to be found if you know where to look.

HT

Edited by HillTop

Posted (edited)

June 15th is often the switch over to summer season in most of the areas I fish - Barnstable, Chatham etc. Day one of the summer season and they hit the parking lots with a vengeance. I know this from bitter experience.

But I would definitely check the local area.

Edited by JRT

You can park at most beaches in the early morning hours as enforcement typically doesn't begin until like 8 AM. So fish the best hours of the day and then head off and do something else until enforcement ends in the evening and fish again. I am a resident and I do this; I don't bother buying stickers. Also, a bike can be your best friend. I find plenty of free parking within a half mile of many places I want to fish and then I just ride my bike down to the spot. (e.g. park at the courthouse or W Barnstable Elementary and ride to Barnstable Harbor). Also some of the best areas (again, Barnstable, and also Chatham) have free parking in prime locations at wildlife conservation areas... so look for those as well.

Chatham parking at Town landings is strictly enforced- year round.  Ask me how I know....

Thanks for the help.  Seems like we should be OK in most places.  Plan to avoid the Chatham Town landings.  In the past we've avoided Falmouth as well...was ticketed there a few years ago.

9 mins ago, flyfishvt said:

Thanks for the help.  Seems like we should be OK in most places.  Plan to avoid the Chatham Town landings.  In the past we've avoided Falmouth as well...was ticketed there a few years ago.

though they sure love the outside money they generate through their shops and restaurants.    Leave your money just stay away from our beaches....

Ask at the police station about parking after dark  until morning. Works for me.

Town landings are a no ,no.

sorry for the incorrect info, last time i was at the cape was in 2006 and parking at the town landing wasn't an issue back then

Posted (edited)

I have been doing the Cape in May to mid June for past ten years. 

Best answer is it depends where.

If you can find any free or even parking which you can pay for in Cotuit you are a Magician for example.

You can get for free night parking passes for the national sea shore but you had better be fishing.

We are Aliens but somehow mostly still manage to get access and be able to park with out getting towed away or getting a ticket.

PT is a nightmare. Always read the meters in town or expect to get towed. Cost me a pretty penny.

The irony for me is that in a country that loves to call itself free it sure does not like Out of Towners  from having access to the sea shore or to car parks but at the same time the local Towns want your tourist money. Why local business does not do more to make it easy beats me. It has to cost them big money.

Mikey

Edited by Mike Oliver

Look at it this way...pay the 30 ticket and think of it as much cheaper than if you hired a guide. Of course that assumes they don't tow your car. 

FishHawk

7 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

If you can find any free or even parking which you can pay for in Cotuit you are a Magician for example.

You can get for free night parking passes for the national sea shore but you had better be fishing.

We are Aliens but somehow mostly still manage to get access and be able to park with out getting towed away or getting a ticket.

PT is a nightmare. Always read the meters in town or expect to get towed. Cost me a pretty penny.

The irony for me is that in a country that loves to call itself free it sure does not like Out of Towners  from having access to the sea shore or to car parks but at the same time the local Towns want your tourist money. Why local business does not do more to make it easy beats me. It has to cost them big money.

Mikey

On the Jersey Shore Michael You would be called a FOOTER betweem Memorial Day and Labor DAy.

Pleasant Bay has one Town Landing that allows you to launch you boat and motor out into the Bays.  And that gives access to Little Pleasant Bay.  I'm leaving my dory ta Home this June and renting, or borrowing a small sit on top Kayak with a anchor.   Chatham has basically cut off the tourist anglers with boats.  The single free tiny ramp is in the Town of Orleans.  Yarmouth and Dennis are fairly relaxed.You can kayaks into several spots to access Barnstable Harbor for free.  But it is a $10.00 Launch fee per day for the non residents.  Barnstable is one of the spots that has a daily launch attendant.  Many of the other towns on CC

required you to get apermit at the Town clarks office for a lot more than $10 per day.

Gotta go!  Game 2 Red Sox against da Yankees.  Last night the score was Sox 14  Yanks 1!  Go Sox!!!!

s

On 4/11/2018 at 8:35 AM, Mike Oliver said:

Mikey

They want to keep those meter spots turning over so more customers come through. Good point about "land of the free". Parking and access restrictions and police activity in general, stuff you come into close contact with as angler operating in the evening hours, sure makes one long for more "freedom". 

But we have a saying in this country Mike: "Freedom isn't free."