Theiceman33

SSV 5500 Anti Reverse Problem?

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I noticed that when reeling my spinfisher, when the handle is in the 11 O clock position or lower, that I can reel the handle backwards.  I'm assuming the anti-reverse on the reel went.  I looked at my schematics and there is no anti-reverse listed on the breakdown.

Could it possibly be something else, and if so, what do you think it is?

I've never done a repair on my reel, but I have broken it down for cleaning at least a dozen times, so I'm confident taking it apart if needed.

Thanks

Iceman

Iceman,

The 98 is the anti-reverse.  It may need to be cleaned and oiled, or possibly replaced.

tony

Hi Iceman,

I had the same problem on my 5500.  It still went reverse after cleaning it.  You are better off just ordering the part and replacing it.

I went ahead and ordered a new one.  Yeah I figured I'm going to take it apart anyways.  While it's apart I might as well put a new one in.  I don't want to pump a ton of new grease in to find that there's still a problem.

Don't pump grease in the AR bearing, it will make it slip. I normally oil mine, at the most use grease cut down with oil. It's the Achilles heel of instant anti reverse, to much lube the bearings slip, not enough they grab hard but fail quicker.

Interesting.....

I do use a ****ton of marine grease in the main body of the reel since I'm too cheap to buy a Van Staal.  I'm wondering if that could be the problem, if it's getting down into the AR bearing.

1 hour ago, Grayson said:

Don't pump grease in the AR bearing, it will make it slip. I normally oil mine, at the most use grease cut down with oil. It's the Achilles heel of instant anti reverse, to much lube the bearings slip, not enough they grab hard but fail quicker.

This ^ .  Had same issue with a 4500.  

Extra grease helps with salt water to a degree, makes sand worse. Best to just clean everytime it's dunked. 

My SSV's has been dunked many times. I have yet to see any water reach the case.  I think the SSV is water tight enough to keep the water out.  But if you do open your reel up a lot, check the rubber seal around the case for an nicks or cracks.  If you do see it, just order a new seal and replace.

2 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

My SSV's has been dunked many times. I have yet to see any water reach the case.  I think the SSV is water tight enough to keep the water out.  But if you do open your reel up a lot, check the rubber seal around the case for an nicks or cracks.  If you do see it, just order a new seal and replace.

I agree.  I've dunked and been hit with waves numerous times and never had any issues with water intrusion in 4 years.  Although I did find some sand in my 6500.

The only issues with the amount of marine grease I use, I think my reels weight ~26oz's.