fishweewee

Looks like toll roads are coming back to CT

35 posts in this topic

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Bill-That-Could-Create-Tolls-Passes-Committee-478915903.html

Committee Passes Measure to Bring Tolls to CT

By Kate Rayner
Published at 5:34 PM EDT on Apr 5, 2018 | Updated at 5:35 PM EDT on Apr 5, 2018

The state is one step closer to adding tolls to Connecticut roads.

A bill that could lead to the Department of Transportation implementing tolls statewide passed through the Finance Revenue and Bonding Committee Thursday.

Residents who spoke to NBC Connecticut about it were split on the issue, which has been a hot topic.

“Bringing toll roads to Connecticut? I think it’s ridiculous honestly,” said Evan Monterio of Newington. “I think we already pay enough in taxes for the roads.”

“I’m all for it,” Hartford resident Yuvonne Grant said. “It’s going to bring a lot of money into the state.”

Gov. Dannel Malloy has endorsed tolls as a way to raise money for the states special transportation fund which could run out of money in the next few years.

The tolls would be electronic. Legislative and transportation leaders have discussed installing the tolls on the state’s busiest highways.

The bill will now move on to the House for a vote.

Posted (edited)

I-95

I-84

Merritt Parkway/Berlin Turnpike

Rt 8 and similar 

Edited by fishweewee

11 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Wtf 

im waiting for this ****hole to start taxing the air. 

Clean air tax is already in place.

The last one out the door turn the lights off.  Sick state to say the least. Pity

Absolutely put tolls on the borders.  I have been paying for new york and mass roads for years.  It's about time they start paying for ours.  We are one of the biggest pass through states and we have footed the bill for too long. I am however not in favor of mid state tolls

5 mins ago, John350 said:

Absolutely put tolls on the borders.  I have been paying for new york and mass roads for years.  It's about time they start paying for ours.  We are one of the biggest pass through states and we have footed the bill for too long. I am however not in favor of mid state tolls

From what ive heard it wont be just at the borders. 

28 mins ago, John350 said:

I agree with this 

5 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

Clean air tax is already in place.

Nah, I mean when they tax us for every single friggin breath that we take. 

Same effort last year never made it out of the house committee for debate in the full house.

There is a good chance that it will suffer the same fate this year.

Call your respective Congress critter and tell them if they vote for tolls they lose your reelection vote.

I was traveling in NYC the other day taking the back way down the Henry Hudson to the GWB. The toll near Columbia University which used to be $1 has been changed to $1 for NY residents and $5 or $6 dollars for out of state plates. Per what happened on the lawsuit in Rhode Island concerning the Pell Bridge, I thought that kind of toll was unconstitutional? 

18 hours ago, John350 said:

Sorry, not the plan. We can't place tolls at the border - this is going to be an internal toll system, with 70% of the toll revenue coming from CT residents.