The Right Way to Break Off Snags With Braided Line

Rate this topic

Otshawytsha

What's the right way to break off a snag or try to put a lot pressure on a snag when you are using braid? You can't wrap the braid around your hand, or hold it against rod. So how do you go about breaking it off. I've been told to hold the reel spool and use that, but couldn't that damage the reel? Like with 30lb braid, that's a lot of pressure on the reel...curious what people do when they need to try to break that dang snag. 

Edited by Otshawytsha

When at a place like the canal where snags are inevitable, I usually carry a old driftwood stick a few inches long and wrap it around the line to pull. 

When up north at the river, when I get snagged bad, which is rare, I wrap the line around my pliers. 

Do NOT wrap it around your hand. 

On a partboat I commonly see peeps reel tight, lock down drag & thumb spool, point rod at snag and pull.

I worry that is putting an awful lot of pressure on reel (e.g. 40 - 60 lb test) and that it risks digging line intp spool.

While I hardly ever see anyone do it, I like to dowl idea.

Thoughts?

JD

Thanks all for replying to this, I was fishing the river a few days ago and automatically knew that a rookie had gotten snagged because there was fifty yards of line floating down the middle of a prime fishing hole, so this person gets hung up and cannot free the snag so they cut the line. Point the rod, hold the spool and pull straight back, or like mentioned find a stick, wrap the line around it and pull straight back.  

First of all, with braid I always use a mono leader of lower test than the braid. This way the leader will break before the braid. It not only saves you money by not leaving a lot of braid in the water, more importantly it, well, doesn't leave yards of braid in the water for things to get entangled in.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

A few wraps around the handle, point and pull.

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

5 hours ago, Jon I said:

I point the rod at the snag, hold the spool and pull.

This. At the Ditch sometimes you need to point the rod, hold the spool and walk backwards 10 feet to get it to pop - but same idea. This has been working since the days when the only spectra lines available were made for flying kites and were never intended for fishing :)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.