Hobie Vantage CT Seat Replacement Options

Well, its a start.  I selected the Seals seat.  The reason is that seat allows you to slip in padding in a slot. You can taper the padding if needed with foam or simply  slide in the padding of your choice. I used a kneeling pad to try out later this weekend. 

Took longer for the drive than to install.  No drilling required.  For now I used the Hobie Allen screws from the CT bracket and put a washer on it to hold the snaps in.  Later I will go with a stainless eye bolt. This seat is lower as it stands and closer to the 2014 specs and prior year as far as seat height goes. The drain for now can work but with a person in there that could become an issue.  Il’ll post more on that later and run tests. 

You also don't need to worry about destroying the webbing on the vantage seat which is becoming a regular thing. That kit alone is over150 bucks.  

I’ll do some trials and report back. I’m happy there is an option!

7DC77E52-FDFC-4E06-9E9E-782D2AC4C1FE.jpeg

F6B8C4E3-6BDD-440E-AE41-77E761040154.jpeg

DAB9D52D-CBD1-4E35-A5F3-A29A5D436C42.jpeg

6F696DDC-5F4C-428E-AE7A-DCE16A1EAD9F.jpeg

00DDAD4F-3126-4E69-B59F-FAEA733ED387.jpeg

E85C9058-9CD5-480B-BEA1-0CB104F335E7.jpeg

E4127B6C-30BC-459A-AE45-70C1C8C3D882.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

24 mins ago, The Riddler said:

For now I used the Hobie Allen screws from the CT bracket and put a washer on it to hold the snaps in.  Later I will go with a stainless eye bolt.

F6B8C4E3-6BDD-440E-AE41-77E761040154.jpeg

Good luck with the project, innovation in progress.......:th:

As for replacing the screw and washer with an eye bolt,  might want to consider keeping it tight to wall by adding a loop of webbing with a stainless split ring to clip onto, mcmaster has a nice selection of  different size rings that would be perfect for this.....

Imo, eye bolt will put at least some amount of sideways stress on the receptacle, might cause problems...

Best.....

Also, I picked up a Wilderness Systems seat on the cheap. It was too good of a buy to pass up.  As it stands its about the same as the Vantage CT seat.

I’m thinking Outback! Someone needs to post the specs of the 2015 and newer Outback in the cockpit area to see if this can work.  If anyone lives in the Metro Boston or North Shore area lets meet and see if it works.  This is a very comfortable seat and could be an option. 

B0A52B97-50CE-4A91-A248-ABB5DBB60123.jpeg

F3FBE99D-2F5D-48CB-A8E0-FDD63C521865.png

6 mins ago, BillZ said:

Good luck with the project, innovation in progress.......:th:

As for replacing the screw and washer with an eye bolt,  might want to consider keeping it tight to wall by adding a loop of webbing with a stainless split ring to clip onto, mcmaster has a nice selection of  different size rings that would be perfect for this.....

Imo, eye bolt will put at least some amount of sideways stress on the receptacle, might cause problems...

Best.....

Thats a great idea!  I might take a ride to West Marine and see if they have it.  Unless you can think of a place that sells one?  Thanks!

You gotta have some old nylon webbing lying around somewhere....  cut it it to size, fold it over to make a loop & melt a screw hole thru both pcs and bolt that sucker down....

I mentioned mcmaster  had some nice rings, they'll have webbing as well... just made this one up a minute ago..

Best ....

20180407_204945.thumb.jpg.23143fddc69fdbac7259a2cd82151ba7.jpg

FWIW, id be more worried about the threaded receptacle than anything else......

That  strap & split ring'll probably lift 75lbs or more, Your not breaking that.... I'll destructive test it tomorrow for the hell of it....

Pad eye is probably best,  eye bolt in that threaded receptacle is not....itll be too long, too much leverage, your probably gonna rip it right out if your getting the amount of pressure generated on it as you suggest....

Eye bolt will also protrude a given distance from the wall....food for thought 

Good luck,  

Regards.....

Edited by BillZ

Looks great for a test run.

Final attachment I would go with SS pad eye attached with ss bolts and either big-ass washers or a backing plate. When peddling that brass snap will be in constant motion.  A pad eye will let it move around. I don't trust that Hobie bolt thingy, but I haven't seen the back of it either. If its just molded in, I don't think it's very strong.   

2 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Those same molded in backing nuts are used on bow and stern handles for carrying the kayak. I have yet to see one come loose.

Sounds pretty solid. Maybe use one for attaching one end of the SS pad eye, so you only have to drill one hole.