Springer

Fathom bearing oil

9 posts in this topic

What oil comes in the bearings of a factory Fathom?  When I cleaned mine recently it was much slower. 

Thanks

6 hours ago, Springer said:

What oil comes in the bearings of a factory Fathom?  When I cleaned mine recently it was much slower. 

Thanks

They come packed with grease.

If you want the reel to reach its full potential, pop the shields from the spool bearings, purge the grease with a good degreaser, and oil them up. I use 3n1.

I think almost any good oil will work, I use reel x on mine. I would bet Penn uses their own oil since they use their own grease.

Bob

On 4/7/2018 at 8:04 AM, hunter123 said:

I use Penn oil in all my reels.

:th:

If it's a star drag 12 or 15.. remove the spool bearings soak in cigarette lighter fluid for about ten mins. Blow out with an air gun if you have one. I use Hot Sauce made by Quantim, but you,can use one small drop of 3in1 oil on each side if you don't have access to Hot Sauce.

The out of the box tune on my Fathom 15 was 30 sec of free spin. As I mentioned when I cleaned it I was getting half that. I thought it was the oil so I started buying different oils to get it back to where it was. When I used Penn oil it seemed like I put peanut butter in the bearings. I Even did a unscientific test to find the lightest oil. I settled on Abu high speed oil. Much to my dismay that still didn't work. But then I finally realized that I had unintentionally cranked down on the spool tension knob when putting the reel back together after cleaning. Now with the spool tension set right I am getting 85 seconds of free spin out of the reel. Doh!  I know I won't be able to control this thing when I fish it. I figure once I blow it up I will start using Penn oil and probably get that perfect 30 sec of spin. 

IMG_0427.JPG