outAluck

Look out for the Greenies

49 posts in this topic

Just watched this one.........  yeah, WOW is right!

This fella didn't really have any thrust out of the water, looked like he was just trying to pull his dead weight up onto the kayak.

IMO, as with this guy & for a lot of guys that don't keep in shape, after the first failed attempt the strength at a second go at it is drastically reduced, you can get in deep trouble if you cant get it right the first time ESPECIALLY in colder waters.... Good reminder to practice regularly & what NOT to do.

That guy didn't know how to self-rescue and didn't look like he was in good enough shape to get back in the boat.  

Everyone needs to practice self rescue and it doesn't hurt to do push ups every day.  If you can't do 5 push ups, you're probably not strong enough to pull yourself back into your boat.

4 mins ago, Slappy said:

If you can't do 5 push ups, you're probably not strong enough to pull yourself back into your boat.

80AC2403-BBEE-40AB-8B39-D18F2399C866.gif

I’m glad this topic gets discussed every year it seems for those who may be reading to learn and get into kayak fishing. I echo many others here that going without a PFD on is not an option at any time regardless of how uncomfortable, hot or whatever. Mine does not come off for anything and keeping it tight feels good on my back. I lost my cousin because of cold water and no PFD over a year ago. He left behind his wife and three young children. We never kayaked together because he lived in another state, but I wish I had because I would have made him put it on. You won’t be the one suffering, but those you leave behind. Don’t kayak without it. 

2 hours ago, BillZ said:

Just watched this one.........  yeah, WOW is right!

This fella didn't really have any thrust out of the water, looked like he was just trying to pull his dead weight up onto the kayak.

IMO, as with this guy & for a lot of guys that don't keep in shape, after the first failed attempt the strength at a second go at it is drastically reduced, you can get in deep trouble if you cant get it right the first time ESPECIALLY in colder waters.... Good reminder to practice regularly & what NOT to do.

What amazes me is the guys response to this video -  "I give rick credit for coming over and trying to help out where he could, he stood by and helped out with holding onto my pfd and waders. The fact is he did not save my life.... he didn't have to, but he could have if I was in serious trouble. The fact is "I" righted my kayak, an "I" climbed back on. Let's not forget Jorge was there too. What saved me is simply being prepared. Having the right tools in the right place and having trained myself for just such a situation. Like Jorge said there are no heros here, everybody did what they were supposed to do, and stood by ready to help if needed."

IF he was in serious trouble??? Come on. If he had not received help he probably would have drowned. Next time I hope they let him go under. 

This is a pretty good idea for the less nimble among us. All you need really is one of your camloc straps aboard and reachable.

Agree the stirrups is a nice idea. I should had one.  I will grab the drive and right the kayak for now.  

Posted (edited)

Never understood why people think they have to do a reach over to right it........ just reach under & grab the opposite handle & pull it over  from underneath...

Edited by BillZ

Next time the Greenies stop you, it may be for a physical fitness test.  Push ups and pull ups, do ten now or you're getting a ticket!

19 mins ago, BillZ said:

Never understood why people think they have to do a reach over to right it........ just reach under & grab the opposite handle & pull it over  from underneath...

Say what?? Bill, let me know next time you're going to practice this, I'll bring the beer (and an apology just in case :th: ).

Upside down kayak, your floating next to it, reach under the kayak, grab the opposite side handle & pull towards you from underneath......... I have not once ever done a reach over to pull it right side up.......

2 hours ago, BillZ said:

Upside down kayak, your floating next to it, reach under the kayak, grab the opposite side handle & pull towards you from underneath......... I have not once ever done a reach over to pull it right side up.......

Simultaneously pushing near side upwards ... then sure, but just pull far side downwards and towards me ... doubt it’ll work on my overloaded barge or maybe it’s that I doubt I’d have the strength :gay:

I just grab the handle & pull, flips over easy / peasy, i don't even need to push it over at the same time...........i think you need more leverage to bring it over the top then under, you're also preserving that "initial burst energy" needed at the first attempt to get back on, its not wasted at the flip over stage....

FWIW, Give it a try, you might be surprised....... Overloaded 48" wide barge might be the Achilles's heel with this one though :D

Best......

Bill - 99% of the time that's what I do -your way. But...  we once had one flip up at Cape Cod and couldn't get the damn thing righted with your/my method, even with 2 people working at it. Only thing that worked was grabbing the far handle over the top. I think that gives more leverage because you can lean back and use your body weight to pull it. 2 rods were still in the holders and the current was strong, so that might have been a factor. Anyway, the reach across the top method is good to try when your way doesn't cut it.   

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:20 PM, Slappy said:

Next time the Greenies stop you, it may be for a physical fitness test.  Push ups and pull ups, do ten now or you're getting a ticket!

LOL, if you saw me or knew me, you would know how funny this comment is.  I am at the gym 5 - 6 days a week, run 3-4 miles 3 of those days and swim laps 2-3 days a week with the wife (college swimmer), not to mention other cardio workout and weight training.  I am capable of doing a few more than 10 push ups.  I know this is going to sound like I am a hard-o, which I am not, but I say this because my physical shape is not and hopefully wont be an issue for a long time. 

To the rest, my point in all of this isn't whether I should have had it on or not, my point was the greenie could have gotten the point across without writing a citation.  I will pay the citation and move forward.  Wearing a life jacket is personal choice, I don't begrudge anyone who wears it or doesn't wear it. (of course now that I know the law we will wear one always until May1)  We have several of the self inflating pfd's that will be used for our kayak adventures in fresh water.  In the salt we have specific kayak life jackets that are comfortable and better for ocean excursions.

I have put the kids in the pool with the kayak, flipped them and ensured they could get back into the 'yak on their own.  I as well have done it without issue.