In the drop net today.

Rate this topic

DoorGunner

13 hours ago, PhilCVG said:

Those are grass shrimp but we get big shrimp also.

I grew up on Raritan Bay and I have always used to catch Grass Shrimp in my kelly pot, but I never heard of any big shrimp in NJ except Mantis Shrimp.    Can you give more details about the big shrimp in New Jersey?   

12 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

I grew up on Raritan Bay and I have always used to catch Grass Shrimp in my kelly pot, but I never heard of any big shrimp in NJ except Mantis Shrimp.    Can you give more details about the big shrimp in New Jersey?   

Not really, I’ve never done it. But I know guys who have. They do it at night in the southern NJ back bays, around Doorgunners shop. 

I may be letting out a long kept secret, who knows? lol

Edited by PhilCVG

1 hour ago, UncleJohn said:

I didn't think there were any big shrimp in NJ until this past fall when i saw some junky searching a bulkhead for them at like 5am. He showed me a couple of grass shrimp he caught that were 6" long. Apparently they do get bigger. 

42 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Holy Cow  !!  :eek:   6 inch grass shrimp  ...   are you sure they were grass shrimp  ? 

He was saying grass shrimp and that someone else taught him how to catch the big ones. I've only ever seen the regular 1"-2" ones floating around. Looked just like them but bigger. I tried looking up different shrimp species of NJ and i can't find anything except grass shrimp, shore shrimp and mantis. Some websites are calling grass shrimp and shore shrimp the same thing. 

Just now, PhilCVG said:

FunkyBunker is in the area I’m talking about. And if that bulkhead has a boat ramp that’s one of the spots I’ve heard them caught at. 

No boat ramp at this one. Spot was north of Gunners shop. This was the first time i've ever seen anyone trying to catch them. Usually only see people looking for peanuts or crabs for tog.