Mandoborg

Help w/DIY Duplicator

50 posts in this topic

There is also a thread somewhere on SOL re cutting corners w/a table saw ...

PS: Beautiful DYI Duplicators, but might I have similar problems once I find the $ to buy the Vega 8500 & one of SP's cutters ???

Haha. That is a whole nuther discussion. No time today but in a nutshell I work everything off my belly holes. All fixtures work off belly holes for pretty much anything that is done to the plug after the initial turning. Many ways to do it I choose that way. Maybe it is my machinist mentality. 

Ed the corner cutting makes turning easier for the guy holding the cutting sled in his hands. On a Vega where

the cutting tool is attached to the lathe not as much a problem but I like fact less material to turn off. I do 4’ ers no

problem and super quick. To easy not to do. Table saw can be used too but too much dust compared to band saw IMO. 

I use the table saw to knock corners off but then again I have a large dust vacuum  to eat all the saw dust.

and I work off a V block to  locate all holes after the lip slot is done...

20180407_111227.jpg

20180407_111237.jpg

2 hours ago, capesams said:

I use the table saw to knock corners off but then again I have a large dust vacuum  to eat all the saw dust.

and I work off a V block to  locate all holes after the lip slot is done...

20180407_111227.jpg

20180407_111237.jpg

I have seen the v-block setup to hold on the lip slot but how do you cut the lip slot in the right spot straightley on a round Plug and SP do you just hold the plug or clamp in a v-block to drill the belly hole if multiple or weight holes I guess they are done in that same operation I understand I think what your doing once you got your hole to work off of

This is how I drill my holes usually after hydro orientation and for the lip slots they are put on a pin which is mounted in my fixture which bolts to a fixture which slides along the band saw groove. The 2nd photo is a face cut but I use same set up for lip slots j just adjust the fixture on the moving plate. Everything is multi functional. Anything will fit. 

D21905A7-E45B-4E66-A4F0-DAB3BC8395DF.jpeg

C52E29B1-879F-47ED-AC79-A8F4BD01CB68.jpeg

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy - so much to digest in the last month. Is winter over ???, if so much better temps for us neophytes' in our garage workshops, but now got to find the time to get out actually plugging.

I look forward to stop making plugs and get out on the water. Way more fun than plugbuilding.  Of course it snowed yesterday. 

Okay I see you pin it through the through hole are the vertical pins doing anything love your fixtures you have got a lot of work in them alone I am just getting started and seeing your setups helps a lot it also sets the bar high but reminds me perfection is attainable 

4 hours ago, OnTheFish said:

Okay I see you pin it through the through hole are the vertical pins doing anything love your fixtures you have got a lot of work in them alone I am just getting started and seeing your setups helps a lot it also sets the bar high but reminds me perfection is attainable 

It is not pinned that is a stop to set the plug in the same spot in the v block. The plug stays in place just from pressure with your hand. The pins are there to make sure the next holes are in line with the previous ones. Once the v block is centered under the drill spindle and the fence is locked in place you can slide the vblock along the fence and it will always be right on center. The v block has a hole bored in it exactly in the middle of the V. You put the pin in drill chuck and lower the pin into the V block hole and lock the fence in place and you are on center of any shape or size plug. 

ED40DCDF-1D36-4634-AE81-3222F9E2D73B.jpeg

Nice...love the aluminum....my set up is the same as yours but made of hard maple...interesting how minds think alike at times when setting some things up.

Oh Man.....what have I gotten myself into !!.........my pile of aluminum is for guitar making jigs dammit !!    Be strong....resist the temptation........c'mon warmer weather !!...... :O)

if your thinking of building a diy dupe think large as in cutters....more cutting surface...not the vega cutter below.

20180502_193457.jpg

22 hours ago, capesams said:

if your thinking of building a diy dupe think large as in cutters....more cutting surface...not the vega cutter below.

20180502_193457.jpg

I assume that the cutter would be a style ment for like brass and other soft material, a sharp cutting edge? Do I want a large radius or small?