Mandoborg

Help w/DIY Duplicator

50 posts in this topic

Hey Folks, Paul, aka Steel Pulse sent me one of his cutters to build a duplicator around... I don't want to be a pain in his butt so I figured I would ask other folks running the same system here for some pointers. Everything seems to work fine... then the blank just explodes... I've read / re-read all the threads on this machine, but I noticed none really adress HOW to go about the actual cutting. My question is, do you cut with just the point of the cutter, sqaure to the piece ?? Angle it so it ' shears'..??.. I was doing both....perhaps I was plunging the point in to far than turning it causing it to bind maybe ?? I'm lost... like I said, everything seems to be going well... nice cut quality...then BOOM there it goes.... I wasted three nice ayc blanks cause I figured  ' this is pretty fool proof.... ' well apparently I'm a fool !!. Walking away tonight, back tomorrow with some cheap poplar blanks...but I'm just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what I might be doing wrong.... I do have to add handles to the sides as recommended...I think that will give a little more control..... but damn, I DO NOT LIKE surprises on the lathe at all.....scares the ' you know what ' out you....Thanks in advance for any tips or advice..   Jim

IMG_6814.jpg

IMG_6812.jpg

On center, height from table or base to tip of tool I would leave as short as possible 3” is a good height. If too high raise your base up on the lathe bed.  You need handles for sure. It is all about control. Your hands do all the control. It can suck in a wreck piece very easily. You will get strong wrists using this. I can usually crank on AYC an pine. You want terror try hard maple and birch. I move from one side to the middle and then go from other side to middle. I kind of angle the tool bit not straight in till final pass or 2. Going to take some getting used to. Not be too aggressive as it will want to suck in. Crank up lathe RPM’s too. 

0DE9A71C-032D-457C-82D4-8E4F40FD1721.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Like paul said...control is a must number one....put some big handles on ..one on each side....I have made the same as you did but i put large bases on them..then use cherry handrail on top to hold the cutters....then as time went on after playing with them I found loading up the base with a lot of poured lead they became far easier to control ...weight works wonders with these home made dup's.

stop trying to take deep cuts...but only a 1/16 of   an inch in depth....I now only use these cutters on the final few passes before the sanding stage as I have leaned to rough out the shape using lathe chisels first....even these cutters wont last long if you just   them from rough to finish only.

and please for your own safety replace the plastic tie downs with washes or metal straps....the lag bolt you see in the pic is a 3/16" x 1-1/2"

20180404_195334.jpg

20180404_195235.jpg

20180404_195309.jpg

20180404_195132.jpg

Edited by capesams
spelling

Posted (edited)

Nice Tips by Steve

I will also say I like the handles low on the sled so I can lay my palms right on the base plate while my fingers go around the handles. Better stability. You will get the hanging of it and build confidence. I blow up an occasional blank. Does scare the crap out of you for sure. 

Edited by Steel Pulse

SP what is the reason you marked center on the end of the plug like that instead of just a x center mark??

That is how I lay out the center of the Sq piece. I lay on flat surface and lay something about center height like a block of stock and scribe a pencil mark on all 4 sides rotating the blank 4 times nice and  quick. That meeting point is center. Real simple. 

All good points you should take in.  These guys are very good at spinning wood.

If you want to think nervous try this.   

I was very skeptical when I approached this piece.   full cut 12 by 12 spinning at 450 RPM

IMG_0666.JPG

It's always cool to come back and see such good , helpful advice ! I've removed the base and drilled 3 5/8 x 2" deep and 2 1/2 by 2" deep holes on the block that I'll fill with lead before putting the base back on. That's going to be a cool optical illusion because the piece will look the same, only it's going to be a boat anchor  when you pick it up ! My base to center is 4 1/4 . Is that oo much ??.... I might have to build that up to make it more towards  the 3 inch Paul suggested ??..... I thought the teflon pieces along the top would be adequate, but I'll switch those out on Capesams recomendation..THANK YOU folks so much for helping get this thing moving along safely... speaking of safety DMacLeod, that's pretty crazy stuff. There's videos on youtube of guys turning basically trees on there lathe.... crazy.  !! BE SAFE !!

Posted (edited)

If you can I would make it as short and stout as possible. Here are a couple pics. Mine is 3.5”. You can see the handles and how I can rest my palms on base while I turn giving me more control. I have a plastic bottom on my sled as aluminum to aluminum would gall up quick     Also don’t make sled too slippery on base with wax or something slippery. You need a little resistance or it may suck in and wreck blank. I will try and send video but I am having a hard time getting video smaller to send. I will have my daughter help me. I suck with computers. 

6BD77C00-476C-45DC-9BAC-DC103D5D23BC.jpeg

51070A12-FC3D-4436-BF3D-C9047BCB062C.jpeg

B612FF7C-501F-428B-94E4-C6CC8527BC54.jpeg

47C20EA2-0AD8-4F07-844B-B3C86F9A1CBF.jpeg

Edited by Steel Pulse

Posted (edited)

Check out this sander I grabbed at work. Needs a little work but they were tossing it. Wicked heavy a bitch getting down cellar. 

7E8807B4-5368-44BB-BC4F-CDBE7F6D155D.jpeg

Edited by Steel Pulse