St21

Soon!

66 posts in this topic

I live 2 minutes from the Holyoke Dam . My wife asks  why i go  to Rhode Island to fish ? Simple to get away from her :laugh:

Oh i could post something but I'm real sure Big Brother Tim would edit it . Then i would get more of those go away points with no store to spend them 

On 4/8/2018 at 8:16 AM, whitey said:

Another Swingers Party ? 

lmao   

We have a couple of dead schoolies floating in a drydock at work. They have been in the dd for the last few months. Saw some shrimp on the surface in the Thames today

Not that I enjoy being the class pecker-head, (well....we can debate that later...) but I get the notion that some here don't understand that the runts aren't "showing up"....They've been here all year in the river basins and are finally triggered to feed, especially when were talking anywhere inside LIS. Any warm day from the false springs in January to the first sunburn on your face from the glimpses of summer sun in April, you'll find yahoos ripping the lips off of micros in places like Norwich Harbor in the Thames or Hamburg Cove on the CT River.  Every meth head and his brother out there tossing curly jigs from their pre-spooled Wal-Mart saltwater combos. Looks like a scene from the Big Bang Theory with their slinky-wands.  OK, everyone pile on about "who am I to harsh-off on folks simply wanting to bend a rod, it's their right, it's legal to do , yada, yada, yada..."  Because:  There are white perch in abundance right now,  April first saw the winter flounder season open, and today is opening day for put-n-take fishing in most NE states.  I'll never understand the salivation over fishing for runts, especially when we know it adds to the mortality rate of a contentious fishery.  So why not target a species that you can enjoy for dinner tonight instead of farggin' up a bunch of juvenile game fish that might one day truly rock your (fishing) rod?  - End Rant.

1 min ago, H'Islander said:

Not that I enjoy being the class pecker-head, (well....we can debate that later...) but I get the notion that some here don't understand that the runts aren't "showing up"....They've been here all year in the river basins and are finally triggered to feed, especially when were talking anywhere inside LIS. Any warm day from the false springs in January to the first sunburn on your face from the glimpses of summer sun in April, you'll find yahoos ripping the lips off of micros in places like Norwich Harbor in the Thames or Hamburg Cove on the CT River.  Every meth head and his brother out there tossing curly jigs from their pre-spooled Wal-Mart saltwater combos. Looks like a scene from the Big Bang Theory with their slinky-wands.  OK, everyone pile on about "who am I to harsh-off on folks simply wanting to bend a rod, it's their right, it's legal to do , yada, yada, yada..."  Because:  There are white perch in abundance right now,  April first saw the winter flounder season open, and today is opening day for put-n-take fishing in most NE states.  I'll never understand the salivation over fishing for runts, especially when we know it adds to the mortality rate of a contentious fishery.  So why not target a species that you can enjoy for dinner tonight instead of farggin' up a bunch of juvenile game fish that might one day truly rock your (fishing) rod?  - End Rant.

I think the 'runts' in question are the ones that show up along the open south county beaches, usually between mid April to the first of May depending on the weather, etc. No questions there are holdovers here and there. But those fish are usually caught up in harbors or creeks during conditions you described above. I usually have good luck or bad luck with hold overs on a year to year basis - there's been years when I catch fish everytime like it's the spring run, other years where I catch a small handful (most common outcome) from of a number of outings, and a occasional years where I get skunked all winter. People bring up sea lice, but I don't think that's an end all be all thing. Holdovers will eventually make their way back to the open ocean and collect sea lice just as the fresh arriving migrating fish will

10 hours ago, H'Islander said:

Not that I enjoy being the class pecker-head, (well....we can debate that later...) but I get the notion that some here don't understand that the runts aren't "showing up"....They've been here all year in the river basins and are finally triggered to feed, especially when were talking anywhere inside LIS. Any warm day from the false springs in January to the first sunburn on your face from the glimpses of summer sun in April, you'll find yahoos ripping the lips off of micros in places like Norwich Harbor in the Thames or Hamburg Cove on the CT River.  

Gotta say I disagree with that. 

Two completely separate populations and behavior patterns imo. Here's my usual 18 paragraph winded post in response... so I'd appreciate a few "I ain't reading all of that craps"

1st Group: Holdover bass.

Some schoolies stick around local area year-round and don't move much at all. Ive caught tagged fish in Dec at CTwn which were tagged that summer off PtJ. Sm schoolies dont spawn (in Chesapeake Delaware or Hudson) so it makes no sense for them to waste energy swimming south to off Chessy or Carolinas or whatever, esp if adequate conditions remain here. 

And sticking w/RI for an example, maybe some other bass that holdover were migrating by in Nov/Dec from a bit further North

/East, and for whatever reason stopped moving and decided RI place to be for winter.

Holdovers feed regularly all winter long, but moreso during thaws and much less so when water temps drop near or below mid 30s.

Because they're living in brackish rivers or tidal marshes, it is pretty much impossible for them to carry any sea lice. Lice are an open ocean parasite and die and drop off rapidly when the host moves into brackish water for even a day or 2. 

Color-- most holdovers seem to have darker body stripes and a distinct river color

Spring: holdovers drop out from winter homes and then either stick around local, or migrate east and north 

2nd Group: Earliest April Migrant bass

These fish wintered over somewhere else. Where? I think for RI a lot of the tiny earliest migrants spend the winter in the Hudson. Or maybe NJ backwaters. 2 years after that good Hudson spawn we got blasted by early spring ultra dinks. Prob moved out/migrated from their Hudson nursey for very 1st time

Same as holdovers here in RI, these fish drop down toward the ocean in early spring. And then they move up LIS first, toward RI. At least to my eyes, the few weeks they spend moving up LIS starts to modidy their appearance just a bit.  Not quite as dark after living over sand bottom with no river tannins, pkus LIS food may be diff. Some early migrants even have stripes that look sandy brownish. And because they're ocean fish they can pick up lice.

Behavior: guys talk a lot about the magic 50°. Out front, it seems first fish (more or less) roughly follow the 50 isotherm. And if a late cold snap hits they can be tough to catch. In contrast,  brackish holdovers will feed heavy at 40

In RI, Ive caught local holdover schoolies (no lice, darker) that moved out front in nice weather... and later on in afternoon at diff spot caught the standard 12" sea lice-covered earliest migrants at the usual spot.

##

As for beating up on rats? 

-catching a few here and there throughout the winter to ease cabin fever/or going to the Ww to pick up a half dzn 1st migrants to kick off season isn't a death sentence for species. Those guys who catches 30-100 rats a day, whenever they can,  just to keep score, are kind of bizarre though 

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

Hey. 

White perch lives matter, man. 

Lmao. 

On 4/14/2018 at 8:07 AM, H'Islander said:

I mean, I don't think anyone here responding to this topic is a walmart-er that slays 50-100 microbass a day, dropping them on every rock on the way back down to the water. And trust me, I totally know who you're talking about. I yell at people every year for being idiots. I get what you're saying, why target a threatened population of smaller-ish fish when you can catch something more sustainable that's less pressured - makes sense. It's really a shame people don't respect the animals they're handling. 

To me, and I'm sure a lot of the guys here, I just find the migration interesting and exciting. The year's first fish is more about marking the start of the heavier fishing season and the end to me freezing my arse off while I wait for 4 months to do something that I love. It's more symbolic than anything and was the purpose of me making the OP. Not sure that's what some people have in mind when they head out for their first bass of the year though, which like I said, is a shame. 

Anyway, I went out the other day just to throw a line in, still nothing oceanside of course. I have a funny feeling about this next week though... especially with this storm blowing bait heavily towards the northeast starting later today, pressure staying low until about Fri and it being relatively warm all week. 

Edited by St21

Those early migrant bass - oftentimes when they show up and when they become active enough to feed are two different times.  

While growing up here in RI as a youngster we always kept tabs with the commercial gill nets and trap fishermen who oftentimes 

would be catching bass 10-14 days before anyone with hook and line.  This occurred with many other species including scup and tautog.

If you notice many of the early spring locations for striped bass in Rhody surf occur in shallow sandy/gravel areas where a perpendicular 

land break is a major structure.  These areas tend to warm up a tad quicker than surrounding water and the fish there will be more active sooner even though bass

may be swimming through other areas.  Those locations in South County are well known.  Newport County also has its share. 

I tried my spot like that ^ this past Saturday. No luck yet. Nice to cast at the ocean again.

Locked and loaded as of last night ( lite stuff anyway). Reels on rods and in the shed, all hooks switched out, lead replaced,rubber categorized,  had to put new braid on one of my two early season set ups. This will be the latest first trip in my adult life. Since it’s past opening day, maybe my life ( since  5 or so). 

I like this discussion if for nothing else than the nostalgia for conversation that happened on long piles of granite. With old timers, many years ago. In April. Before the internet. 

Same exact points made then were made above. We still don't really know. 

I think there's an element of truth in what everyone said.

And I still get a charge tracking migration and meeting it on my favorite rock. I like the micros on the right gear, in moderation. 

Striper Thumb is NOT the goal.