St21

Soon!

47 posts in this topic

Any guesses when our first schoolies will start appearing? Water temp off Point Judith about 40 right now, which is about average for the date. I'm really thinking late April, even May 1st with the cold weather and the nor'easters though. 

Not that I'm counting the days or anything :) 

Thoughts?

Ive heard the schoolies have already shown up in one place but non other yet.  the herring have started to run in multiple places so it might be sooner then you think.

even if dinks show up now, it is too cold to stand fishing for micros.  Its a long season and we will be sick of small fish before we know it.

Posted (edited)

holdovers have an internal clock, water temp aside.....they know the herrings schedule.

new moon will have them moving.

Edited by HugeDinghy

Don't pay too much attention to water temp.  I've caught them early in cold water and late in warm water.  They move when they want to move. 

The old tradition was to start fishing WW or DH on April 15th to see who would take the first fresh run.  At DH the guys would dunk sandworms with spike rods on the bottom just after dark.  Of course this was when we could bring 16 inch fish home to fry - nothing better tasting.   Generally by April 21st someone had bragging rights for the first fish. 

Posted (edited)

You guys are probably 10-14 days behind us in the very western sound. The little guys and not so little guys showed last week.

Water was in low 30(s) Those Little guys are heading east and You will hopefully seem them by tax day, catch em up.

Edited by fishinthedark

Good to hear about them heading this way! 

I’m actually gonna head out today with a buddy and see if we can get lucky. I’ll post later w an update and a pic if we get anything ;) 

I went with a buddy today, i was wicked excited but we didn't see any bird any bait or any stripers, so it looks like we will be waiting for awhile

I dont sweat the thermometer or "magic 50° mark" anymore. Esp after seeing the active behavior of winter fish in water high 30s/low 40s. Almost always, the 1st migratory tiny tims can be found around the middle of the month. +/- a few days. Only the most extreme weather years alter that by anything significant. In 2012 (year w/o a winter/80s in March) they were in closer to April 1st, while in spring 2015(snowmageddon/icebergs on Cape) the first few might've popped in closer to April 21ish. Maybe 25th.

Either way, holdovers often outclass the fresh run rats in size for 1st week or 2 of season. We're not talking 4ft submarines here, but they're usually bigger and more sporting than 10" wildeyed pipsqueaks

In a hotel in CT not far from the Enfield dam. Killing me that it isn’t. Few weeks from now and I could sneak out for a few. 

12 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

In a hotel in CT not far from the Enfield dam. Killing me that it isn’t. Few weeks from now and I could sneak out for a few. 

I live in Enfield, waiting for some river runs to hit suffield bridge with some plugs