Fish cleaning gear upgrade this year

Rate this topic

RudyH2O

Hello,

I regularly keep a fish or two for my own meals. This year I've decided that I want to upgrade my fish cleaning gear. I've been using a short bladed filet knife, but am seriously considering a chordless electric filet knife or a bigger "bubba blade" filet knife. Both seem to have their advantages. If you clean fish regularly, what have you found to be the best system?

I'm attracted to the higher quality electric knives like the Rapala chordless because very little pressure is needed with the hand. The knife does the work, and that means I can probably clean a fish or two in the kitchen without making a mess. The bubba blade 9" flexible filet knife is attractive because it has no moving parts, has a high quality steel blade, and has a good ergonomic handle. However, they probably do need to be used outside.

This is not going to be for big batches, but is going to be for a fish or two at a time a few times per week. Fish will generally be on the small side, like a pound or two. Maybe the occasional 4 or 5 pound redfish.

Your thoughts on fileting gloves and cutting boards is also much appreciated.

RudyH2O

Rudy, I just keep it simple when cleaning fish. I gut them as I catch them, Then I put them on ice, not in the ice water. So I just use a fish filet board with a strong gripper at one end, a good scaler, and a very sharp filet knife. Then they go into a big zip lock bag and then in the cooler. I don't care for electric filet knives, I like to feel the spine and slice the skin off . Get a real good filet knife, I use 3 differant sizes. 

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

I have been working deck on the R.I charter boats for over 25 years the best knife I and any other mate I’ve talked to will all say the same thing a 1378 dexter is all you need . It’s a high carbon steel so it will rust if not taken care of but the rust is very easy to clean. You need to season the blade like a cast iron skillet once seasoned it will be much easier to keep rust free. Learn to use a  Diamond steel  To hone the edge after a few fish and to keep edge sharp. The dexter Diamond steel is also a must have for any and all  fillet knives . If you are looking for a easier knife to keep clean look into the dexter  Russell  Knifes with the white handles they are made with a more rust resonance metal. If you are able to a bit of  preventive maintenance  The dexter 1378 is and has been the standard. Nothing says I don’t know what I’m doing more than a Electric knife

Yeah, I gotta agree that electric knives won’t serve you well. Never had a Bubba Blade but they seem pricey for what you get. I have a bunch of Dexter Russell knives and none have ever failed me. Inexpensive to buy, easy to sharpen and won’t break your heart if you lose it. Learn to sharpen a knife well and take your time filleting a fish.

Ditto on the Dexter! I've been using their scalloped knife for about 3 yrs now. I actually got 2 seasons before I had to sharpen it.

So far its the best fillet knife I have ever used! It will go thru the tough scaled skin of a large striper with ease and I can skin well with it too!

Ed.  CodFather, I've asked you to stop posting links to commercial sites already.  It's against the house rules.  Cut it out.

BrianBM

Edited by BrianBM
link to commercial site

1 hour ago, chagh2point0 said:

I have been working deck on the R.I charter boats for over 25 years the best knife I and any other mate I’ve talked to will all say the same thing a 1378 dexter is all you need . It’s a high carbon steel so it will rust if not taken care of but the rust is very easy to clean. You need to season the blade like a cast iron skillet once seasoned it will be much easier to keep rust free. Learn to use a  Diamond steel  To hone the edge after a few fish and to keep edge sharp. The dexter Diamond steel is also a must have for any and all  fillet knives . If you are looking for a easier knife to keep clean look into the dexter  Russell  Knifes with the white handles they are made with a more rust resonance metal. If you are able to a bit of  preventive maintenance  The dexter 1378 is and has been the standard. Nothing says I don’t know what I’m doing more than a Electric knife

I agree with the dexter knives but isn’t the 1378 technically a “boning” knife ?! I like the dexters with a little more flex. That is all I use is dexter on the rare occasion I keep a fish, usually only keep a fluke here or there.

53 mins ago, SurfCasterNJ said:

I agree with the dexter knives but isn’t the 1378 technically a “boning” knife ?! I like the dexters with a little more flex. That is all I use is dexter on the rare occasion I keep a fish, usually only keep a fluke here or there.

Yes the 1378 is technically a boning knife . I will only use the narrow  fillet knives when I’m doing flat fish . Even than I prefer a stiffer blade . I’m a  creature of habit and when I learn how to  fillet that was what I was given. Just like most of the mates before me.  Over the years I’ve tried all kinds of expensive to mid shelf and none can compete with dexters line up. They just feel right in my hand.  I can all most certainly  guarantee you will always find a dexter on any commercial or charter boat . Partly because there cheap but mostly because  they just work .

6 hours ago, RudyH2O said:

I'm attracted to the higher quality electric knives like the Rapala chordless because very little pressure is needed with the hand. The knife does the work

If your knife is sharp enough you shouldn't need an electric knife

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

14 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I need to get a stainless table. I looked at some used ones at a used cooking supply store and they were more that I wanted to spend. 

I need to find something cheaper. 

I keep a cheap round plastic table with a 20" x 30" scrap of corian from a sink cutout in the backyard for fish cleaning chores

cheap, works great, lasts forever

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

26 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I need to get a stainless table. I looked at some used ones at a used cooking supply store and they were more that I wanted to spend. 

I need to find something cheaper. 

Are you anywhere near the Dexter outlet?  They sell blemished knives for tiny fractions of the retail price.