Sanibel Report 04-03-18 Redemtion

Rate this topic

bonefishdick

I was not sure I was going to fish today due to the fact had to make a trip to the dentist and that is never one of my favorite things to do.  Since I was off island I did my grocery shopping to avoid having to go later.

Getting back on island was a slow process since it is school vacation week and once that is over the change on the island is dramatic and I can hardly wait.

I laid low for a few hours and finally decided to make a trip back the the same area that I lost my monster fish. When I first arrived the wind was a SW and the wave action while not light was not what I wanted but I decided to give it a try for a few hours, The water was all churned up so there would not be any sight fishing.  

The tide was on the drop and trying to reach the sand bar was not feasible until I worked my way closer to the top of the trough that does eventually connect to the beach. I had one good solid hit just on the inside of the bar once I was able to reach it. I would estimate it was a 50 foot cast. At first I was not sure what I had but I knew it as a decent fish and once again when it came right to the surface, I thought Trout. I was right and it was a nice slab of fish.

P1100297sol.JPG.eeaca0e6f3afbe0cd02a368938985b6d.JPG

I was still using the same Chernobyl Schminnow that has been so good to me the last few days. I did pick up a couple other hits but came up empty and after working to the top of the trough I then started working my way back to the car, This time I waded in thigh deep to try and stay in contact with the sandbar as log as possible now that the tide had dropped some and the wind laying down a bit helped to do just that. 

As I worked my way back I made cast to the bar in sort of a quartering direction and stripped the fly and wham, things went into overdrive with  a solid heavy hit and the fish was racing straight down the middle of the channel in one felled swoop. I had the drag set just right after last night's encounter and again the thought that popped into my head was "how is this going to end this time". Once the fish was into my backing which did not take very long it then decided to go out over the bar and head more to the right and that gave me the chance to get back on the beach and walk left and pick up some valuable line, I worked the fish back inside the bar and actually just started to get some fly line on the reel and then the fish decided it was time to go back over the bar. The second time I finally got it back inside i was finally able to wear the fish down and now it was just a matter of time to try and slide the fish up on the beach. During the fight with a fish this big you always think two things , one the hook will pull or the fish will wear through the leader. This time I could now see the fly stuck right in the corner of the mouth so it was just a matter of staying calm and wait for a nice wave swell to ride up on the beach and bring the fish with it.

I was very fortunate because just as I got the fish up on the beach in the wash and once I grabbed her a lady was walking by with her two dogs and I was able to get her to take a couple shots of the fish for for me.

I will say one thing when you lip a Snook this big they let you know they are not happy and bite down with a lot of pressure. It only took a few minutes to revive her and then I just watched her disappear into the silty water.

I felt like a little redemption after yesterday sure helps.  

After the release I decided to call it wrap for the night, I did retire the fly and replaced it with a brand new one. 

This fish measured 38 inches.

P1100301sol.JPG.daff1d9859a29a63793e3763646d3bf7.JPG

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

Awesome post!  Everyone is jealous of your fun.  Sanibel Island is one of my favorite places to be.  Please keep the fishing reports coming it helps with the cabin fever! :)

"A successful man is one who can lay a strong foundation with the bricks thrown at him."- David Brinkley