Southcoastphil

Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge?

23 posts in this topic

34 mins ago, East Tide said:

I rented a house right down the street from there on the Bight side of Long Beach Rd in 2015. Very pretty area and I hooked the biggest tarpon of my life in a kayak in the Bight. I ducked into the BPKFL for beer and to check it out. Very well kept and good place to launch from. I bought a t shirt and it's one of my favorites. Shore fishing around there is not easy, but can be done. Might want to check to see how the re-hab of the area has been though. There weren't many restaurants around there  to begin with and they got whacked the hardest by the hurricane. 

There's a lot more going on around Key West and you might be able to find reasonable lodging on Stock Island, but not Key West. I'll be there by 1 tomorrow, that's why I was browsing the forum!

Please LMK what you find down there.

On 4/5/2018 at 11:09 PM, savfish said:

Look up fish overtime charters.  Capt Pat is a friend of mine and I have fished w him last 7 yrs or so.  Big Pine is his backyard.  You will not fine a more knowledgeable or harder working captain.

savfish,

sending you a PM

On 4/4/2018 at 10:27 PM, AlwaysWading said:

Billy Rabito is a good guide .He runs a small boat and is perfect for inshore/back country fishing. He's been guiding down in Marathon since the 60's. Google "A1A keys sportfishing " for info.

Have you fished with him much?

13 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Have you fished with him much?

Just once actually.Billy's an older guy who's been guiding Marathon since the 60's and fishing down there since the 50's.There isn't much he doesn't know about fishing that area. We got a few nice Tarpon when we fished with him. There's another guy a little farther down Andrew Tipler  with " last cast" charters who's really good too. He runs 2 boats ,a flats boat and a larger CC for offshore fishing. You can't go wrong with either of these guys.

It is almost time to fly to FL!

Heading out Wed at 0-dark:30.  Expect to arrive Keys late afternoon.  Ended up finding a perfect place for my adult son and me in Marathon via Airbnb!!

We will be there until the morning of the 25th.  Already have plans to connect with a fellow Ditch Troll while we are down there.

Even without days of rain and temps in the 30s and 40s, we were excited to get there.  With this weather in New England?  Pffftttttt, we will be happy to leave it behind!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of your help here, mates.

If any of you ill be in the mid-Keys this week and would care to catch a tide with us, please PM me.

Posted (edited)

I hope you guys have a great time.

i am on the. SW coast of Florida now myself.

last two days were tough with crazy wind and a storm blew through last night.

should be cleared up nice the next few days for you

tight lines,

Jim

Edited by bkupmstr

Up N of Tampa we have had a couple days with Strong winds , Rain Being blown sideways and heavy downpours , cooler today  how ever not as windy, hopefully weather will return to Normal as  April & May in Big Bend area dry little if any rain 

Enjoy Trip, Post Photos and spend some cash local economy needs it     Al

As of this posting, just spent a few days down there fishing the bridges, Long Key, Seven Mile....all the way to Key West. Tarpon everywhere! Stacked thick in the current, hugging the pilings...easy pickings. I've never seen them so thick. Lots of big snook pods as well. Water was very clear and very flat with some passes very heavy with weeds. The weed lines usually disappear with the tidal changes. I didn't see any weed activity at night on the seven mile, for instance, whereas during the morning it was loaded.

There's a pretty decent front creeping its way down here now with strong winds, so the weeds might get thicker. Just gotta watch the forecast and plan accordingly.....always options.

Lots of luck to ya.