Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge?

Rate this topic

Southcoastphil

After way too much futzing around with work schedules, I have finally booked airfare for my adult son and me to get to the Keys from 4/18-24!!

Planning to fish in the greater Marathon Key area.

While looking at lodging options I saw this place.  

Do any of you have recent information?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

Dig back through this Forum one of SOL members and Son Camped out at Big Pine kept gear along side them seemed it worked out well for them,good time to come down  spring break over and Snow Birds headed N again should not be crowded , Enjoy trip  Post Photo's     Al

I've been there,  (pre hurricane) but never stayed.    Looked decent.  In a great location for fishing.  I met a kayak operator (who authored a book) that departs their dock for those take me out, you paddle back trips.  Can't remember his name but I remember I liked his book.  That's where the No Name Pub (great pizza)  and the No Name Bridge to No Name Key are.  Fished off that bridge. 

P.S.  The National Key Deer refuge is  on Big Pine.   Don't speed and don't hit a Key Deer.  If you do, its  'always' your fault and expensive!

14 mins ago, kayak99 said:

I've been there,  (pre hurricane) but never stayed.    Looked decent.  In a great location for fishing.  I met a kayak operator (who authored a book) that departs their dock for those take me out, you paddle back trips.  Can't remember his name but I remember I liked his book.  That's where the No Name Pub (great pizza)  and the No Name Bridge to No Name Key are.  Fished off that bridge. 

P.S.  The National Key Deer refuge is  on Big Pine.   Don't speed and don't hit a Key Deer.  If you do, its  'always' your fault and expensive!

All good to know.  Thanks k99!

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

I have no specific info on that lodge but,I was down in Islamorada about a month ago.

i drove from Isla to key west and Was amazed at how much damage still existed in between the two areas

islamorada looked great, than marathon, not so much and very thing in between until you got to key west

We stayed at Continental in Marathon.  Can't speak for the whole place but our rental was flipping awesome.  Key Colony Inn was good grub. Old school feel. Not cheap but nothing is there.  Try the dolphin wrapped over crab n deep fried.  And as noted things are still not back to normal down there.  Send pix!!!

On 4/2/2018 at 11:52 PM, Southcoastphil said:

After way too much futzing around with work schedules, I have finally booked airfare for my adult son and me to get to the Keys from 4/18-24!!

Planning to fish in the greater Marathon Key area.

While looking at lodging options I saw this place.  

Do any of you have recent information?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Recently back from a FLA trip. The fishing in March was very challenging due to the parade of endless cold fronts that blasted through on the backside of those noreasters that rocked the east coast. In fact, I cancelled my daytrip to the lower Keys because water temps in Marathon had plunged from 81 on March 2nd to ~66 on the morning of the 21st (with 20+kt NW winds). And guides were really struggling to put charters on fish.

Since then the weather has stabilized, and temps are back up to the normal range. I assume fish activity has followed suit, and will continue to improve by the time you get there in 2weeks

Marathon SSTs:5ac55aa2ba7d4_plot_met(6).png.33de18f41d52ab0caf3bc54023cd91ba.png

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

Thanks rst.

I took a quick look at temps today, just one mid afternoon observation.

Water 77

Air 82

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

1 hour ago, Bdawk2020 said:

Will you be fishing on foot or renting/chartering a boat?

Mostly the former.  Flats, bridges, etc.

Charters/boat rentals are TBD.

Suggestions?

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

2 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Mostly the former.  Flats, bridges, etc.

Charters/boat rentals are TBD.

Suggestions?

Tarpon bite should heating up as long as temperatures remain seasonal. You can likely hook up free lining shrimp or crabs at night around bridges. Mullet will work if you can net some or pinfish. No name bridge will produce snapper and yellow jack (great eating). I also liked fishing Toms Harbor Bridge further north by Grassy Key and Duck Key. You can also get lucky with permit up at Long Key Bridge soaking a crab. Good luck.

Billy Rabito is a good guide .He runs a small boat and is perfect for inshore/back country fishing. He's been guiding down in Marathon since the 60's. Google "A1A keys sportfishing " for info.

Edited by AlwaysWading
Practice catch and release

I rented a house right down the street from there on the Bight side of Long Beach Rd in 2015. Very pretty area and I hooked the biggest tarpon of my life in a kayak in the Bight. I ducked into the BPKFL for beer and to check it out. Very well kept and good place to launch from. I bought a t shirt and it's one of my favorites. Shore fishing around there is not easy, but can be done. Might want to check to see how the re-hab of the area has been though. There weren't many restaurants around there  to begin with and they got whacked the hardest by the hurricane. 

There's a lot more going on around Key West and you might be able to find reasonable lodging on Stock Island, but not Key West. I'll be there by 1 tomorrow, that's why I was browsing the forum!