FunkyBunker

April 2018 Fishing Reports

791 posts in this topic

If anyone catches a decent fish in the Raritan Bay with a chartreuse Black Label swimmer in it's mouth followed by a 3-foot leader, please take it out, keep the plug and let the fish go.  I'm not sure how or why but I broke off where the braid meets the barrel swivel since I'm not fishing rocky areas, but I've made my peace with it......much more bummed at the thought of that fish swimming around with a plug stuck to it than I am about losing the plug (although that thing swam NICE.....).

And to whoever is hanging signs to let the egg-laden females go, Good on ya!

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

It's what's very interesting....I can't remember fish this large this early on...and this many.  2 years ago the location sort of made sense....but this year...seems different....a bit more special in terms of qty of quality and willingness to smash plugs all along the south shore

Last year they were that big around Mid - April...just not in your playground...

17 mins ago, daves745t said:

If anyone catches a decent fish in the Raritan Bay with a chartreuse Black Label swimmer in it's mouth followed by a 3-foot leader, please take it out, keep the plug and let the fish go.  I'm not sure how or why but I broke off where the braid meets the barrel swivel since I'm not fishing rocky areas, but I've made my peace with it......much more bummed at the thought of that fish swimming around with a plug stuck to it than I am about losing the plug (although that thing swam NICE.....).

What kinda of knot did you use? Palomar is the only knot I use that won’t slip for connecting braid to terminal tackle

5 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

What kinda of knot did you use? Palomar is the only knot I use that won’t slip for connecting braid to terminal tackle

Palomar is the only one I use as well.  Never had it fail.  Who knows, carrying it around through brushy areas, some piece of submerged garbage, anything could've nicked it.  I was trying to remember when I changed that leader...which probably means it was too long. Poop happens sometimes.

51 mins ago, daves745t said:

Hopefully someone returns the plug to you and the fish to the water... 

I can't wait to see the signs.. I hope they are posted at the local hot spots

5 mins ago, Goldy said:

Hopefully someone returns the plug to you and the fish to the water... 

I can't wait to see the signs.. I hope they are posted at the local hot spots

They are posted at local hot spots where that message is most needed and probably least heeded.... :mad:

36 mins ago, daves745t said:

They are posted at local hot spots where that message is most needed and probably least heeded.... :mad:

I hope they are posted in multiple languages

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

I believe I know of the location your talking. If it is, I fished it hard last spring with nothing to show for it except bunker and skunk-ings. Maybe it’s time to try it out this year...:huh:

There were a few fish....but not like the previous year....short window....and poof gone.

Edited by scoobydoo

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, daves745t said:

In one night, I went down a bomber, and 2 mag darters. Next to me another mag darter and a nice glider were left swimming. Suckiest part for me is all of my plugs had recently upgraded split rings and VMC's hooks, and were catching fish..

Edited by Sheisty