April 2018 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

FunkyBunker

3 hours ago, 555jkeegs said:

Been out all morning in back of moco. Water is like coffee. Didn’t catch anything, didn’t see anyone catch anything. Decent amount of guys out at some of the more popular spots. Tripped and hit my knee on a muscle bed, ripping my waders, so that’s cool LOL. Going to try out front now because I want to stand on the jetty so that my boot isnt constantly filling up with water LOL.

Ended up hitting a jetty on a certain inlet in MOCO. Nothing. Dirty water and lots of weed and other assorted post Noreaster garbage.  I probably won’t get out again until the weekend. Catch em up fellas!

Went out front today nomoco, walked for a few miles, very windy, not a tap. lost plugs to stupidity and the wind, will be back this weekend, hoping to get on the board soon.

"With all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one..."

(*member formerly known as 'adoboboy')

8 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Thanks for the reply. I have only been able to fish the last 2 hours or so of the outgoing and once or twice beginning of the incoming. I think I've gone 5 times. Saturday produced nothing at all and there were plenty of folks out there. I think 2 Sunday's ago produced nothing either. One trip with the last hour of outgoing and 1.5 hours of incoming produced 2 stripers, a perch, and a large hookup lost. Another produced 3 cats (2 large so not a bad time) and for my friend a small striper. 

Seems like everyone has different logic to fit their agenda though. Some say outgoing is good at the creek mouth since the water is warmer and mixing into the colder river. Some say incoming is better as they will swim up into the creek, so being at the mouth where they need to enter can be good. I am trying to just put in some work to see what works best. I'm hesitant to toss out any lures due to the large amount of snags though, really just bait fishing.

The biggest factors for me are sunrise and sunset....When people are catching catfish and the like, i give up on that spot for stripers...

What kind of snags - trees/branches, or rocks? Rocks are pretty easy and don't snag too many lures, epically plastic swimmers that don't dive deep (like bombers) but even ratLTraps. Last time i went to the river, using a bomber, i outcaught a couple dozen baitfishermen. I usually do in the river....remember that the fish move. Sometimes you can follow the school up or downstream. Keep experimenting, like you said. Catching river stripers close to home was why i came to this site. 

*This time of year, the big girls don't like muddy rivers

Edited by Frugal Fisherman

7 hours ago, pricise10 said:

My new release , coming to a store near you. 

6620E5CF-07EA-42EB-95C4-160C5E3AFDC7.jpeg

Are these the official Cinco de Mayo salt and pepper shakers?

You are just a dirty, smelly fisherman. If a hot girl is making eye contact with you, she is probably a hooker.

5 hours ago, joefishnj21 said:

Just got in. Out back in Moco. Its winter cold out. Stiff W N/W wind. Caught the skunk. water pretty murky. 

Same here. Fished from 6:30 till about 11. Fell off the sod bank and into water up to my neck. Wet and cold is not fun.

Out front CmC 5-630am. Like an early December morning out there today. Wind actually died down and water cleaned up pretty good overnight, no cabbage farming today. Water Temps a little bit cooler this morning. The storm definitely shifted some sand and was finding more structure with better sandbars and some other humps in between. Kept the BT on with the low water just after the tide change, plugs would have been dragging bottom in most parts. Nothing for the 1st hour after moving north, then shifted back south to an area with better wave action. Ended up knocking the long awaited skunk off with 4 rats in the 15"-18" range within a 20 min period. Back out there tomorrow. 

• Sudsy locked this topic