FunkyBunker

April 2018 Fishing Reports

802 posts in this topic

Headed out this morning after letting the tide come in a bit, so was on the sand out front around 8am.  Second trip of the season and found some success.  Great looking clean white water with a nice warm SW wind.  Was able to christen the VR50 and the newly designed eels I was making over the winter by pulling out 7 and missing another 3 or 4.  All fish were 20 to 22 inches and covered with sea lice, so these are fish on the move.  The colors they hit were white, chartreuse, or bone.  Time to kick it in gear.  If this cold front move through quick enough, may give it another look this afternoon.

April 4, 2018  20 inches.JPG

April 4, 2018.JPG

eel 2018.JPG

6 mins ago, MC55 said:

Headed out this morning after letting the tide come in a bit, so was on the sand out front around 8am.  Second trip of the season and found some success.  Great looking clean white water with a nice warm SW wind.  Was able to christen the VR50 and the newly designed eels I was making over the winter by pulling out 7 and missing another 3 or 4.  All fish were 20 to 22 inches and covered with sea lice, so these are fish on the move.  The colors they hit were white, chartreuse, or bone.  Time to kick it in gear.  If this cold front move through quick enough, may give it another look this afternoon.

April 4, 2018.JPG

eel 2018.JPG

Those are some cool little eels 

I took a shot out front today and it was crazy, throwing 2 oz. Bucktails, but too rough when I was there.. nice job MC

18 hours ago, MC55 said:

April 4, 2018.JPG

eel 2018.JPG

Awesome.. Love the VR50 with what looks like a st croix avid.  Those eels look awesome...

Gave it a shot, out front, MoCo, late morning to early afternoon. One bump. Nothing else. Strong wind out of NW and fairly flat water, with a few small swells. Found a nice cut and a trough, parallel to the beach. No action. Was cold, but the sun felt nice. Good getting back out (2nd time this season). Weather doesn't look to good for the next couple of days.

Hit the spot I had luck in the other day this morning.  Heavy wind and bottom of the out going.  Turns out this place holds  NO water at low. Skunked, which is always frustrating, but it's part of the process of learning/dialing in a new spot i suppose!  Still have some bloods left so I'm hoping to hit it again Saturday late afternoon, which should be top of the incoming. 

52 mins ago, 555jkeegs said:

Hit the spot I had luck in the other day this morning.  Heavy wind and bottom of the out going.  Turns out this place holds  NO water at low. Skunked, which is always frustrating, but it's part of the process of learning/dialing in a new spot i suppose!  Still have some bloods left so I'm hoping to hit it again Saturday late afternoon, which should be top of the incoming. 

Prolly a good shellfishing spot at low though. :cool:

Attempted to get out togging... Again... The boat was willing to throw ropes if we had enough people, and of course we didnt. Had five people but needed ten. So then changed gears hit an OC creek on the bottom of the outgoing and despite the efforts caught the skunk. On the plus side I did get to throw my quantum smoke s3 and it's damn near impossible to backlash.  But anyways that's my "report" if that's what you want to call it lol...

Tight lines everyone 

Posted (edited)

Got out North Jersey estuaries for almost 2 hours today...started near dead high and fished the outgoing...one18 incher was all that i caught on the rubber with a jig head.  Had a few hits but couldn’t capitalize and had one mystery break off....the best part was I forgot my rod and used my 2 pc 6’6” 1/4-1/2 bass rod from my trunk with 10lb braid.... for the hell of it I threw on a 13F SP.     that thing flew pretty good from the shimano rod.  At least the rod made my 18 inch fish feel like 24-26

Edited by GreenMachine

5-7 outfront for low tide after work caught my second skunk of the year. Heavy west wind and not much water to work with. Did find a nice looking pencil popper amidst a tangled mess though