FunkyBunker

April 2018 Fishing Reports

631 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, fishless said:

Id venture to guess its his buddy out on the bar with him. 

He's on a boat, so not his buddy on the bar.  .

18 mins ago, frogman00 said:

He's on a boat, so not his buddy on the bar.  .

At first glance I thought that was a wake from a boat. Looking closer, it appears to be a wave crashing and it's another guy further down. Gotta go with Fishless on this one. He's gets somethings right, on occasion!

9 mins ago, nam1969 said:

At first glance I thought that was a wake from a boat. Looking closer, it appears to be a wave crashing and it's another guy further down. Gotta go with Fishless on this one. He's gets somethings right, on occasion!

Yep...took another look & yea, that would be a pretty sloppy boat wake.  Mea culpa ...how dare I slander a fellow so member with the dreaded boat accusation...

49 mins ago, nam1969 said:

:howdy:

First flounder of the year. Just pulled it up in my drop net. Not even sure what type it is but it's flat and it's alive and released unharmed.

DSCF5256.thumb.JPG.b3856116872c9bff2d1162144cdb085d.JPG

DSCF5255.thumb.JPG.2f2373ed1742c370c689b7b3da0a81b9.JPG

DSCF5260.thumb.JPG.1ff155dee5f6a56995d1ef82c37298a8.JPG

18 mins ago, DoorGunner said:

First flounder of the year. Just pulled it up in my drop net. Not even sure what type it is but it's flat and it's alive and released unharmed.

Fred, when I was young my father always called the flounder that were sort of translucent on the bottom -Window Pane Flounder. The one in the picture is so young, I don't know if it will outgrow that translucent look or not.

But this begs a question that you may know the answer to. I always thought that Flounder spawned off shore in Nov/Dec, If that is true it's hard to believe that a fry of less than 2" swam all the way from the Continental Shelf to the WW back bay - Any thoughts? Thanks  

Just the opposite.  They return to estuaries in the late fall where they winter over mostly dormant, then spawn once the water warms enough to get them moving again.  Once the spawn is over, it's back offshore...where commercial draggers rape them mercilessly as bycatch....

Lots of thoughts and no answers. I have talked with marine biologist more than once and all say that they spawn offshore in late fall. I don't know so I believe them even when they say that these baby fish this time of the year are spawn from that run. Then I ask them about also netting large numbers of these same size babies in late summer near the inlet and they don't have an answer. Both were our summer flounder because I have raised them from both spring and late summer runs in my aquariums and both grew into mature summer flounder. One biologist thought about it and said that maybe there are adult summer flounder that also spawn in the spring in our back bays that we don't even know about. 

Hate to say it but he was the only one who's mind wasn't closed to that possibility. Even when there is now way that babies that size could be spawned in the fall and be the same size in April and October. One year I caught even smaller fish that you could see right through but weren't flat. Kept them and the baby flatfish in our small aquarium and fed them flake fish food till they were large enough to eat baby grass shrimp. At the end of October the flatfish were summer flounder all around 13 to 14 inches long and the others were fifteen inch stripers. I will never believe that stripers spawned up in the Delaware ended up at an inch long at our dock. I do believe they spawn in other places when the population of stipers is up in those good years. Many little feeder creeks sneak under the parkway into freshwater ponds and lakes. If brackish water is needed then they can find it there. 

I know that biologist are highly educated and have much more information than I ever will but what they lack is what I have and thats a window to the water that I look out every day. 

Back to the baby flounder from today. When we had them in our smaller aquarium we would watch them feed. Even with flake food that would roll across the bottom from the flow of the pump they set up for an attack. They are born with that hunter instinct and we laughed when a two inch baby would actually attack a one and a half inch grass shrimp. They are born with an attitude that serves them well. Grass shrimp would just shake them off and go on it's way but the baby flounder was learning. At three and a half inches they were real predators and the grass shrimp were in trouble. 

1 hour ago, DoorGunner said:

That's a great shot showing the camoflage that the top of the fish presents, as opposed to when the bottom is flipped over. Nature at work. 

19 mins ago, a rod n a reel said:

Lol that’s a buddy of mine who waded out with me. 

That's disappointing....I thought we had a picture of Sasquatch finding stripers.....

19 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

Lots of thoughts and no answers. I have talked with marine biologist more than once and all say that they spawn offshore in late fall. I don't know so I believe them even when they say that these baby fish this time of the year are spawn from that run. Then I ask them about also netting large numbers of these same size babies in late summer near the inlet and they don't have an answer. Both were our summer flounder because I have raised them from both spring and late summer runs in my aquariums and both grew into mature summer flounder. One biologist thought about it and said that maybe there are adult summer flounder that also spawn in the spring in our back bays that we don't even know about. 

Hate to say it but he was the only one who's mind wasn't closed to that possibility. Even when there is now way that babies that size could be spawned in the fall and be the same size in April and October. One year I caught even smaller fish that you could see right through but weren't flat. Kept them and the baby flatfish in our small aquarium and fed them flake fish food till they were large enough to eat baby grass shrimp. At the end of October the flatfish were summer flounder all around 13 to 14 inches long and the others were fifteen inch stripers. I will never believe that stripers spawned up in the Delaware ended up at an inch long at our dock. I do believe they spawn in other places when the population of stipers is up in those good years. Many little feeder creeks sneak under the parkway into freshwater ponds and lakes. If brackish water is needed then they can find it there. 

I know that biologist are highly educated and have much more information than I ever will but what they lack is what I have and thats a window to the water that I look out every day. 

Back to the baby flounder from today. When we had them in our smaller aquarium we would watch them feed. Even with flake food that would roll across the bottom from the flow of the pump they set up for an attack. They are born with that hunter instinct and we laughed when a two inch baby would actually attack a one and a half inch grass shrimp. They are born with an attitude that serves them well. Grass shrimp would just shake them off and go on it's way but the baby flounder was learning. At three and a half inches they were real predators and the grass shrimp were in trouble. 

Sorry, my mistake. North jersey / south jersey brain fart.  I read flounder and thought right-sided "winter" flounder for which I stated was true. But the picture above is a left-sided flounder/fluke so you and the marine biologists are correct.  I've also spoken to skate and monkfish netters that catch a lot of large fluke in the winter that can confirm the large females are full of eggs in the winter, then spawned out by early spring.  But I agree, that's a hell of a gauntlet for a baby fluke to run.  Perhaps not though.  They hug the bottom and are well camouflaged.  Perhaps they are the BEST equipped to make the migration unnoticed. The fact is that there certainly is no shortage of 1" (and even smaller!) flounder caught in NJ bays and estuaries in the spring summer and fall. They had to get there somehow. I've also caught plenty of fluke that are full of eggs in the summer.  I wouldn't rule out a summer spawn either...