ccb

improving the way your fly swims

27 posts in this topic

Probably not a photo shop job, more likely where his phone was interrupting the light from that light source. The shadow underneath that part is most likely where his hands were. 

Posted (edited)

I spent several days pondering whether to reply to Otshawytsha's obnoxiously absurd reply, since I learned from a retired Army Master Sergeant the following words of wisdom - "Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".  That being said, I make the following points:

1. At age 58+, and possessing only a flip-up phone, I have never learned to Photo Shop, nor do I need to resort to such subterfuge to make a fact-based point.
  2. I am amazed that Otshawytsha is so wizened as to know the contour of my bathroom sink, and can thus self-righteously conclude that my pictures dishonestly show the Flatwings being held in position by the hook point touching the bottom of my sink.  Try taking a look at the pictures where the Fly is over the drain - if you think a 4/0 hook can touch the bottom of the sink there, then you have no idea of the gap size  of a 4/0 hook.  Either Otshawytsha once again replied without actually absorbing the contents of my post/images, or he is so intent on proving my dishonesty that he simply cherry picks items that he considers close enough to validate his accusations and adds just enough smoke and mirrors to believe he has locked in his argument.
  3. One way or the other, if your only means of self validation is to hang out on this site looking to interject yourself for the sole purpose of accusing people you have never even met of plagiarism and deception, you really do have issues.  Unlike Otshawytsha, I actually do know the depth of the water in my bathroom sink, I know the size of a 4/0 fly hook, I know how Flat Wing Flyes perform in the water, and I know that I do not need to validate myself by convincing Otshawytsha of anything relative to my fly fishing/tying practices.

"Nuff said".

Edited by FlatWing

Posted (edited)

Flatwing,

While I don't fish flat wings terribly often, much less catch fish on them, I do very much enjoy tying them. One thing I've found that helps get them flat is to bind them in near the base of the feather, where the stem is thick and stiff. I'll select a hackle that's a half to three quarters of an inch longer than I want (distance from skin to tip of hackle), then strip off that distance from the base of the feather while tying in.  The stem is usually rectangular in cross section (or approximately so), and at that point it is wider than it is tall, matching the cross section of the rest of the feather. So there's no pillow needed to get it to sit flat, and it helps cut down on bulk at the tie in point. With a lot of hackles present eventually a pillow is needed, but it's still less tie in bulk for the same amount of hackles. I'm no expert, but I figured I'd share my experience. 

Edited by RedGreen

Flatwing this old idiot spent several minutes considering how to reply and concluded to apologize about the mistaken wondering about the photoshop thing. Also, when did I ever accuse anyone of plagiarism? I was actually the victim of an accusation of accusing someone of plagiarism. In truth I merely pointed out that the flatwing bomber conversion was created 2003 or earlier and was prominently known to the cult. 

But can we talk about surface tension? What if were to break the surface tension on your pictured flies. Would they "suspend" or maybe even rise higher in the water column?  

Probably the best proof of concept would be to photograph the fly, submerged, at eye level. It could be done by finding a clear plastic container large enough to hold the flies lengthwise, filling it with water, then put the flies in and photograph from the side. No arguments about whether or not it is submerged or if it suspends. Not on anyone's side here, just saying it would better show what's physically going on, whatever that may be.

2 hours ago, RedGreen said:

Probably the best proof of concept would be to photograph the fly, submerged, at eye level. It could be done by finding a clear plastic container large enough to hold the flies lengthwise, filling it with water, then put the flies in and photograph from the side. No arguments about whether or not it is submerged or if it suspends. Not on anyone's side here, just saying it would better show what's physically going on, whatever that may be.

I take Flatwing at his word. I have to admit, I was slightly flabbergasted to see the flies floating there so I think my incredulity led to question and conclude the couldn't be floating. My thought is that surface tension is holding them and if they were dunked in the water, and also had some mono on them, they would not suspend but sink albeit slowly. 

In a current I'm sure they would ride right at surface, just under really. But that's a different situatiuon. 

I tie almost all my Deceivers flatwing style. They're deadly, and outfished a lot of people very recently.

On 4/14/2018 at 5:06 AM, Otshawytsha said:

That's surface tension holding those there. Hook on sink bottom. I marked up some pics that I found interesting. NIce flies.. 

0414180131.thumb.jpg.fc4e50ea853a06d1730d9a8e80513e31.jpg

0414180138.thumb.jpg.7062496ad9e243983fe4289ea3dd7716.jpg

that 'line' Thats the phone, you can see his hands clasped behind that all in shadow of course. 

Uglay flies, Ugly casts, and Ugly fisherman all catch fish…heres an ugly that caught just last night 

IMG_2526.JPG

Flatwing I appreciate the contributions you make to this board. Thanks

1 hour ago, Sand Eel said:

that 'line' Thats the phone, you can see his hands clasped behind that all in shadow of course. 

Oh good point Sand Eel. I was puzzling about that because why would there be a photoshop job on this? Doesn't make sense. 

On 4/6/2018 at 5:54 PM, Otshawytsha said:

Hadn't thought about the effect of hook weight on casting for a given amount of bushy material. Will try that out. Thx.

Have you ever seen the video of Mark Sedotti tying his Sedotti Slammer?  It’s on YouTube.  He talks about weight balancing the fly to counter the drag from the materials.  He ties adult herring and bunker patterns 10-12 inches long and claims that it’s possible to cast 100+ feet when using this technique.  It’s the same principle as you referred to but on a much bigger scale.  He also ties it with a heavy keel to make it track straight.